INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB-to-analog  (Read 1242 times)

MarkS

USB-to-analog
« on: May 09, 2002, 03:38:57 pm »

What's new in USB to analog. I haven't seen anything new here recently. I have both CAVIT and Stereo-Link (latter is the best -- if have good amp -- me thinks). What next?

Trelane

• World Citizen
  • Destroy him, my robots.
RE:USB-to-analog
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2002, 03:42:14 pm »

I'd like to see Stereo-Link add recording capability and a 24 bit DAC with support for 96 khz sampling rates (I already have the SL1200 and I absolutely love it). This would be taxing of a USB 1.0 system though, so it'd have to be for USB 2.0 or Fireware.

dragyn

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2002, 04:06:14 pm »

I think I'm gonna try USB sound this weekend. My Audiophile 24/96 card doesn't sound that great compared to an actual CD player. BIG difference in sound quality. This is playing APE/APL files too using MJ8. Same speakers, same cables. Not sure what's up with that. Terrible SQ. I also have the latest drivers for it. Maybe USB will be better.

Bob L.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2002, 04:13:00 pm »

Here's a different approach.

I purchased a JVC RX-8010VBX receiver.  100w/channel into five channel surround.  .07% harmonic distortion.  10 different kinds of input, 6 SVHS input/outpout, componenet video AND... USB input!  I AB'd it with my CD input and couldn't hear a difference, but your mileage may vary.  This way you don't have to buy a soundcard and the digital signal goes straight to the D/A converter in the receiver (no interference).  I got this for $258.00 from etronics.com, no tax outside of NY and $22 shipping.

Bob L.

cjdshaw

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2002, 02:13:21 am »

Or if you already have a good amp with SP-DIF in, you can get one of these
http://www.abit-usa.com/eng/product/mm/ua11.htm

You can pick them up for about £40 (or probably $50ish).

TedP

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2002, 08:08:27 am »

I also have the RX 8010V, and I use the USB to drive MJ from my laptop. Works like a champ.. and for the price, it's a great receiver.

-Ted

Scronch

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2002, 12:27:03 pm »

We have a stereo-link here now.  Don't have everything hooked up yet.  I doubt that any improvements to the current stereo-link will be noticeable to my 40-something ears.

Scronch

cjdshaw

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2002, 03:03:06 pm »

Just got round to picking one of these up for only £45

Mostly to get rid of the annoying buzz of interference from my CPU and fans but the sound quality has gone up by an order or magnitude. Makes me realise just how crap my onboard sound was. Going all digital to my Dolby Digital amp now. Now if only MJ had a DD 5.1 encoder so it could have control over all channels.

Scronch

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2002, 11:38:25 am »

We have the Stereo-Link feeding the Nakamichi RE-10 now, going through a Russound SDB6.1 speaker control to many pairs of Boston Acoustics Voyager 3's.  Sound is awesome.

Scronch

harry The Hipster

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2002, 11:44:25 am »

Scronch:

You happy with the Nak?

HTH

Gatobrit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2002, 11:57:49 am »

Any idea where I can pick up one of the ABIT  UA-11 in the US?
Namaste,
John

Scronch

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2002, 07:59:06 pm »

HtH - Yes, we love the Nak RE-10.  And a big "Thank You" to all the home theater lovers out there--because of them, prices on 5.1 amps remain high, but the good 2.0 or 2.1 amps have had the bottom drop out.  The RE-10 is a $700 music (2.1) amp that's selling for $189 brand new on ebay.  It's been bashed in reviews by classical freaks who complain about the cooling fan noise during quiet passages.  Not a problem the way we listen to music.  And I love having the cooling fan, because I can crank, the amp stays cool, and I can stack all sorts of other components on top of it.  Scronch

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2002, 12:49:54 am »

Scronch:

Roger on that. Installed one 3 months ago, never regretted it for a minute. Not into Home theater, and fan hasn't become an issue.

HTH
Pages: [1]   Go Up