INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request (Config not saving to connected server)  (Read 1151 times)

dhiggins

• World Citizen
Feature Request (Config not saving to connected server)
« on: February 24, 2012, 05:59:16 pm »

Just wanted to make a quick suggestion.

I just spent about an hour trying to figure out why the changes that I made to the Theater View "Items to show" settings weren't being saved.

Turns out, the top part of the Theater view options screen saves locally, even when connected to a remote MC server,

But that ITEMS LIST part at the bottom does not, so any changes you make are just thrown away. No warnings, no error, nothing.

However, If I TURN OFF my server, then open the server's DB directly with my workstation copy of MC, THEN I can make the change and they are saved properly.

It be perfect if, even if connected to a server, changes to that item list would be saved to the server's config.

But barring that, a warning or message of some sort would be nice.

DrWhom

• Recent member
Re: Re: Feature Request (Config no saving to connected server)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 06:24:03 pm »

Agreed - I've been wondering why my settings weren't persisting

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Feature Request (Config not saving to connected server)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 06:30:06 pm »

Thanks for the report.  Please bump this if you don't see a fix in a week or two.

dhiggins

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 06:47:23 pm »

No problem. Thanks for taking a look.

dhiggins

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 08:10:41 am »

One more thought about this.

Shouldn't the config of which items are available in the Theater View menus be stored locally at NOT at the server?

For instance, if you have 1 server, another machine working as a Jukebox in theater mode and then an actual home theater PC.

In that instance, there are 2 machines running in Theater mode, both connecting to a single server.

But the list of items available on the jukebox would likely be very different from those available on the HTPC setup.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 08:37:30 am »

I guess some parts of the Theater View configuration are stored locally together with other application data and some other parts are stored in the currently active library database (similarly like the standard view configuration is stored). When the loaded database is coming from Library Server only the locally stored part will be preserved.

It could be better to store everything locally (outside the library), but that might be a problem if different libraries have vastly different contents. A solution could be to let the user choose.

Since Theater View configuration is not exactly easy or fast it would be nice to have a way to load and export/import saved presets. Optionally a preset could be linked with a dedicated library so that it would load automatically. There could also be an option to load the currently active presets from Library Server together with the server library if that is preferred.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up