INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drive speed limitting on playback  (Read 2445 times)

gelo29

Drive speed limitting on playback
« on: February 28, 2012, 02:30:31 am »

Hello,
does anyone know if the Media Center 17 have option for limitting drive speed during playback of the CD-audio discs?
I am asking, because ver.16 doesn't have that option.
During playing CD-audio discs, between changing tracks, my CD-ROM drive is accelerating for abut 2-3 seconds. This is very noisy and very frustrating.
Does anybody have that problem?
Thanks a lot,
Greg

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Drive speed limitting on playback
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:19:16 am »

A couple of years ago, I used a program called CD Bremse. It's made by a German, and I don't know if the app is even in English. But it's very basic, so everyone should be able to use it no matter what. It slows down drive speed at the set Speed for Audio, Video and what ever. At least on older drives. I'm not sure how it works on new hardware. I suppose there are newer apps as well that can be used, but until you find something else, it's worth a shot:

http://www.cd-bremse.de/cdbremse.htm
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

gelo29

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 06:38:39 am »

Yes, yes,
I forgot to add. I am currenty using CD Bremse.
Very good program, I can set the drive speed even on 1x speed.
When tracks are playing from the CD-audio disc - everything is fine.
The problem appears between changing the tracks (before ending one track and before the next track is starting to play).
Suddenly, my CD-ROM drive begins to spin very fast and loud.
After that - it slows down and plays on x1 speed, which is currently set.
What could be the problem?
In "Foobar2000", for instance, You can limit the speed of reading the audio discs and it works excellent (there is no need to use CD Bremse even).
In "JRiver v.16" I can not see the option which could allow to limit the reading speed...
So, maybe it is added in v.17?
Or maybe You know how to resolve that issue in v.16?

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:20:02 am »

There's no such options in MC. Never have been as I know of. It would be nice to have, but I believe that the days of optical media is quickly dying anyway. So I would not be super happy personally, if JRiver sacrifice much development time on it.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 07:37:09 am »

I don't suppose you're using 'playback from memory'? This will cause each track to load up as fast as possible into memory and then stop. If you uncheck 'playback from memory' then you may get smoother CD spinning as it will only cache what it needs in real time.

Someone (Matt?) posted some graphs of HD transfer rates with this option on and off before and showed a more even HD transfer speed for 'off'.

Alternatively you could rip them to an SSD and enjoy silent playback?!  :P

SBR

gelo29

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:12:24 am »

=> MrHaugen:
Like You said - it would be nice to have the speed control in JRiver.
I think, applying that function could be "a piece of cake" for so experienced programmers like JRiver Team.
And it wouldn't take long.
For me - this would be very, very useful, because I have over 1000 audio CDs and it could be rather difficult to rip them all...
=> Sandy B Ridge:
I tried to use "playback from memory" option, and it resolved the problem partialy (the fast spinning is still present, but for about 1-2 seconds). When that function is unchecked, the spinnig lasts longer. And this is the only difference.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 08:48:35 am »

AnyDVD has drive speed control if you are using that program for decryption of Blu-rays. You can use it to set the speeds to slow & quiet, medium, or fast & noisy. You can set the speeds separately for video or audio media.
Pages: [1]   Go Up