INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bookmarking doesn't work with client/server  (Read 1346 times)

DrWhom

• Recent member
Bookmarking doesn't work with client/server
« on: February 28, 2012, 06:01:23 pm »

I have noticed that the bookmarking feature doesn't work as intended when in a client/server relationship.

When using the client (a HTPC with autosync on), the bookmark flag seems to be set, as it will ask me if I want to resume playback.  However, after selecting to resume, it plays back from the beginning. 

When I play videos on the client which had the bookmark flag set on the server, it resumes as intended. 

It seems that the bookmark flag is being saved, but the actual position is not. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bookmarking doesn't work with client/server
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 07:34:52 am »

Bookmarking seems to work for me just fine from my clients.  However, I don't have the option enabled to ask before resuming enabled.  Maybe just that part is broken?

The other stuff to be sure of is this:

1. When you update tags on the Client, they don't always sync right away.  This can throw you off if you are testing and switching back and forth relatively quickly (it can take 20 minutes or so sometimes to happen automatically).  To manually sync the changes, you need to go to File -> Library -> Sync Changes, or close out of MC on the client-side completely.  Bookmarks are handled internally as tags, so if the "change" hasn't synced (since you last hit "stop"), then resuming on another machine won't work.

2. Not all media types automatically use bookmarks.  Most video files do, but not really short ones.  And most audio files don't, but Audiobooks do.  If you want to override this behavior, you can set the [Use Bookmarking] field to ON for individual files.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

DrWhom

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:38:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure that at least part of the tag is being synced immediately, as it will ask me weather or not I want to resume - problem is, once I say yes, it starts from the beginning.  This happened with the option to ask before resuming turned off as well.

It might be helpful to know exactly how the bookmark is being saved - is there a separate field (i.e. a yes/no 1/0 for bookmark enabled), and another for position? 

I know the client has no problem jumping into a stream, because it will resume when the server sets the tag.  I will try doing a manual sync as well.  Regardless, I think that it would be a good option to have this tag stored locally for each device.  Also, the auto sync should probably operate each time a tag is altered (think like a push email system) rather than wait x minutes. 

Bookmarking seems to work for me just fine from my clients.  However, I don't have the option enabled to ask before resuming enabled.  Maybe just that part is broken?

The other stuff to be sure of is this:

1. When you update tags on the Client, they don't always sync right away.  This can throw you off if you are testing and switching back and forth relatively quickly (it can take 20 minutes or so sometimes to happen automatically).  To manually sync the changes, you need to go to File -> Library -> Sync Changes, or close out of MC on the client-side completely.  Bookmarks are handled internally as tags, so if the "change" hasn't synced (since you last hit "stop"), then resuming on another machine won't work.

2. Not all media types automatically use bookmarks.  Most video files do, but not really short ones.  And most audio files don't, but Audiobooks do.  If you want to override this behavior, you can set the [Use Bookmarking] field to ON for individual files.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 02:51:09 pm »

It might be helpful to know exactly how the bookmark is being saved - is there a separate field (i.e. a yes/no 1/0 for bookmark enabled), and another for position? 

Yes.  The [Use Bookmarking] field is a three way switch:  Auto (default), Yes, or No.

Did you read the thread I linked?

I'm pretty sure that at least part of the tag is being synced immediately, as it will ask me weather or not I want to resume - problem is, once I say yes, it starts from the beginning.

They are ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY NOT synced immediately.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

DrWhom

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:46:09 am »

OK, so I've figured out that the bookmark tag is being populated correctly across server/client.  What is not working is the client is not resuming from a bookmarked state and rather just always starting from the beginning of a video clip.  My client is a rather low-powered HTPC (AMD E-350), and takes about 10-20 seconds to load a video.  Does the bookmark resume process "time out" after a while?  I'm really scratching my head over this one...

Sauzee

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 06:52:31 am »

OK, so I've figured out that the bookmark tag is being populated correctly across server/client.  What is not working is the client is not resuming from a bookmarked state and rather just always starting from the beginning of a video clip.  My client is a rather low-powered HTPC (AMD E-350), and takes about 10-20 seconds to load a video.  Does the bookmark resume process "time out" after a while?  I'm really scratching my head over this one...

I have exactly the same issue. Playback will not resume on the client machine. Always starts from the beginning.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 06:59:56 am »

What type of video are you testing?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 02:09:27 pm »

Bookmarking was only allowed for JTV when playing from a URL.

We're going to try allowing bookmarking in a coming build for all videos.

Feedback welcome.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up