INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seascapes  (Read 2816 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Seascapes
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:09:58 pm »

Marko started a Landscapes Thread and since we're 'water people' it seemed appropriate to do a Seascapes Thread. Some time ago Jim asked if I would show some photos of the beautiful area around Powell River, British Columbia where we live. I actually forgot to do it but Marko's thread reminded me.  We just have a little Panasonic DMC-ZZS3 that's basically a point & shoot.

We are very fortunate boaters to live only about 4 hours away from Desolation Sound in our slow 7 knot Trawler. And another day by boat and we are in the Broughton Archipelago. Because boaters must traverse some rapids (fairly easy @ slack water) the Broughtons is way less busy than Desolation sound.

Sandra & I couldn't agree which of the first two is better so I'm posting them both.

Tribune Channel in The Broughtons.

Leaving Princess Louisa Inlet after a wonderful few days by Chatterbox Falls.

Prideaux Haven Anchorage in Desolation Sound

Hope you enjoyed.

Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Seascapes
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 06:34:22 am »

Beautiful pictures!  Envy envy envy!

Thanks for posting them.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:49:02 am »

Thanks Jim - Hope you don't mind some more.

This is NiSa in Grace Harbour, Desolation Sound, our Monk 34 trawler that gets us to these beautiful places. Being a 'woodie' there's always lots of work on her, but it's well worth it.
]

This was taken in a very snug anchorage in the Broughtons. Our neighbor was only about 75 feet away.

More 'wildlife'.

Rod

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:18:38 am »

I saw these last night - they're wonderful.  I had somehow assumed that the two letters "nw" stood for North Western, and it seems confirmed.

btw. the [img] tags in your posts are not quite right and the links are botched.  They should be:

[img]URL HERE[/img]

With Photobucket's quick Copy IMG tag capability, just click and paste here in the forum, and no need to add additional bbcode tags.

Thanks for sharing the photos.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:44:30 am »

I saw these last night - they're wonderful.  I had somehow assumed that the two letters "nw" stood for North Western, and it seems confirmed.

btw. the [img] tags in your posts are not quite right and the links are botched.  They should be:

[img]URL HERE[/img]

With Photobucket's quick Copy IMG tag capability, just click and paste here in the forum, and no need to add additional bbcode tags.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Thanks for the compliments. And thanks for the heads up on the links. It seemed that Photobucket put them there when I used the Insert Hyperlink here. I hadn't even tried them & should have. So I've removed them and will try your simple Paste here for any more.

I'm an American who married a wonderful Canadian lady 7 years ago. So it's Northwest from my frame of reference originally being from the San Francisco area. But Sandra reminds me that here in Canada it should be South West.

Rod

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 12:14:46 pm »

I have some more, since you brought up water.

Can't embed it though.  ;)

https://vimeo.com/37676294
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 12:27:27 pm »

I have some more, since you brought up water.

Can't embed it though.  ;)

https://vimeo.com/37676294

Nice video Glynor. Looks like a beautiful area. I lived in New York City for 3 1/2 years and never made it up your way - have regretted it.

Thanks for sharing!

Rod

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 12:42:15 pm »

It really is beautiful here.

One of the things I love most about my job is that every so often I get to go out and do that on company time.  Standing on top of a mountain, looking out at the ocean, and thinking "I'm getting paid to go on this hike" is pretty nice.

BTW... The tearing in the video, if you see it, is from Vimeo's encoding, not my source footage.  Also, you get to see the Wife of Glynor and Dog of Glynor in the video.  ;)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 07:25:28 pm »

Nice
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

rjm

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 08:56:38 pm »

Nice photos nwboater. We are neighbors.

My avatar is a painting by Roy Vickers of Kye Bay which is directly across the water from your home. The painting may in fact have the area of your home in it.

I spent my childhood summers at Kye Bay. It is my favorite place on the planet and we now have a summer place there. We can see Power River through our front windows.

Rob

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 11:17:57 pm »

Nice photos nwboater. We are neighbors.

My avatar is a painting by Roy Vickers of Kye Bay which is directly across the water from your home. The painting may in fact have the area of your home in it.

I spent my childhood summers at Kye Bay. It is my favorite place on the planet and we now have a summer place there. We can see Power River through our front windows.

Rob

Hi Rob, across the sea. This is Sandra, wife of Rod (nwboater). We were fascinated by your note, as we weren't familiar with Kye Bay. Looked up Kye Bay on the net, and we can see how you'd be looking out at us. We have two Vickers prints in our home, and I'm particularly fond of his work. Rod is a transplanted American who moved here after we married 8 years ago. We have a boat and travel up our coast to the top of Vancouver Island -- thus the photos. If you're ever over our way, come see us. Don't we have access to an incredible area of the world?

Sandra

PS By Rod   Sandra is the real photographer in the family and took most of the photos.

rjm

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 11:48:55 pm »

Hi Rob, across the sea. This is Sandra, wife of Rod (nwboater). We were fascinated by your note, as we weren't familiar with Kye Bay. Looked up Kye Bay on the net, and we can see how you'd be looking out at us. We have two Vickers prints in our home, and I'm particularly fond of his work. Rod is a transplanted American who moved here after we married 8 years ago. We have a boat and travel up our coast to the top of Vancouver Island -- thus the photos. If you're ever over our way, come see us. Don't we have access to an incredible area of the world?

Sandra

PS By Rod   Sandra is the real photographer in the family and took most of the photos.
Hi Sandra,

I was raised in Campbell River (30 miles north of Kye Bay) and have lots of family and friends on Vancouver Island. We live in Tsawwassen (a Vancouver suburb) but hope to retire in the Comox Valley.

Our boating is limited to a kayak around Kye Bay. You are welcome to visit us anytime in the summer. Hopefully by then the regular ferry between Powell River and Comox will be back in service because the little substitute ferry they are using right now is a nail biter in stormy weather.

Rob

Bob in St. Louis

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 12:44:51 pm »

If I may be so bold as to post a few.......

"Dillon Reservoir" 

"Lake Powell"

Atlantic Ocean (South Carolina)
Using (paid) MC17 to play music from a PC server (ZOTAC ZBox Win7) and controlled by a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 with Gizmo and/or "Unified Remote".

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 01:03:46 pm »

Thanks for posting them Bob. Great shots!

Is Dillon Lake in the St. Louis area? 

The contrast between the super barren and the water in Powell Lake is quite something! Reminds me of my time in the Sea of Cortez. But there was at least a little growth there.

Good looking ketch! At first I thought she's a Garden Force 50, but now think she may be an Endeavor. Am I close?

Rod

Bob in St. Louis

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 01:21:49 pm »

Hey Rod,

Dillon Reservoir is in Colorado.
Almost a vacation spot all by itself. But this photo was taken from the rest area on highway 70, westbound.
Here's the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dillon_Reservoir

Not sure on the boat. I'm not a "sailor" myself, just a landlover (I am from St. Louis after all. haha) but do enjoy sitting on the beach with a beer and a camera.

Bob
Using (paid) MC17 to play music from a PC server (ZOTAC ZBox Win7) and controlled by a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 with Gizmo and/or "Unified Remote".
Pages: [1]   Go Up