INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advise on soundcard for stereo use  (Read 6833 times)

bert003

• Recent member
Advise on soundcard for stereo use
« on: March 01, 2012, 05:11:30 pm »

Can anybody give me some advise which soundcard to buy.
It is for playing stereo music and the digital output wll go to a separate DAC which accepts most input signals (TTL/SPDIF/I2S/AES etc.). And up to 32bit/512kHz.

I am planning to build a HTPC/Music player.
The original idea was to use a mini-itx motherboard with an Intel Core i5 processor. But then you only have a spdif output, not good for hires formats as I understood.

From an audiophile point of view, what is best for the cleanest digital output signal possible: An external USB soundcard or internal?

If I choose for an internal pci express card, I would like to use a half-height one.
I won't do bi-amping, but I will use room correction (DSP) in MC.

So if anyone can give me advise on a soundcard which works with ASIO (I believe that is the best option?) flawlessly I like to know.

System will be Windows 7 /64 bit

Zenith

• Recent member
Re: Advise on soundcard for stereo use
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:02:07 am »

Unfortunately all the "good" 2ch cards, that I know, are full heigh and do not support 32bit/512kHz (but maybe is useless...)
If you need a digital transport you could use a Emu 1212v2/v3 or Juli@ which is also used inside an hi-end digital audio player
 bryston BDP1 http://www.stereophile.com/content/bryston-bdp-1-digital-audio-player.
Nice thing about juli@is that you can split the board if you don't want to use the analog part and i become an half size digital board.

Another option is to use USB interface like m2tech hiface2 or  Xmos based http://www.aprilmusic.com/eng/main/sub02_03_05.html

bert003

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 06:44:44 am »

Thanks for your detailed information.

I found some "hifi" computer cases where you can use a full height card with a angled adapter, I guess just as in the Bryston player.
So, if a full size card is possible, which would be the best option then? I'd rather not have many restrictions in what's can be played, although I won't expect 32/512 material soon. If I can hear it anyway.

But when it comes to reliability, it has to work always, no driver or software issues. I.e. after the computer comes out of sleep, it has to work flawlessly. Probably no problem for most of the cards.

If there is a full size card which is better than the small cards, please mention it.

PolAad

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 02:16:29 am »

Hi there,

I like the X Meridian 7.1  2G.

Grtz rom Holland,

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 08:40:52 am »

I am very happy with the ASUS Xonar Essence ST see the Sterophile review here (about 165 US)http://www.stereophile.com/computeraudio/asus_xonar_essence_ststx_soundcards/

124 db SNR ! And not expensive! The only comparable card I found was a Lynx card at 4 times the price (750US).  Might be careful though, I have a Lian Li which makes one of those angled expansion slot adapters doesn't leave much room left on slim builds from my experience. I am leery with mini ITX with an i5. My thing is run silent run cool - micro atx leaves a lot of choices of boxes out there. Good airflow, low fan rpm - silent running :)

You might want to lokk into a Dac Magic external which is also reasonably priced around 300 EUR http://www.stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/cambridge_audio_azur_dacmagic_da_converter/ which would leave the angled adapter for a TV tuner for example.

I have a Linn Genki CD player and both DACs above are comparable IMHO at a hell of a lot less.

bert003

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 04:03:22 am »

It has been a while ago, and I have changed my plans.

Instead of building a high-end sound system, I decided to leave high-end.
I will use a pair of mid-end speakers and a mid-end stereo amplifier.
Besides of that I will use a 5.1 amplifier too.

I will make a Hometheater pc which will be also my audio-player.
This pc is of normal height, so a normal sound-card can be inserted.
If I would use the Asus Xonar Essence STX sound-card, and I use the analog outputs, will I get the same or better sound as with my Squeezebox Touch?
Will JRiver work well with the best settings for audio with this card?

Besides of that, would it be possible to add a second multichannel sound-card into this HTPC?
My surround receiver doesn't support the Bluray codecs like Dolby HD Master etc., but it has analog PCM inputs. So I am thinking of a soundcard which does the decoding and send it analog to 5 outputs.

I am not sure if 2 soundcards will interfere with each other.

Any advice??

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 08:54:34 am »

It has been a while ago, and I have changed my plans.

Instead of building a high-end sound system, I decided to leave high-end.
I will use a pair of mid-end speakers and a mid-end stereo amplifier.
Besides of that I will use a 5.1 amplifier too.

I will make a Hometheater pc which will be also my audio-player.
This pc is of normal height, so a normal sound-card can be inserted.
If I would use the Asus Xonar Essence STX sound-card, and I use the analog outputs, will I get the same or better sound as with my Squeezebox Touch?
Will JRiver work well with the best settings for audio with this card?

Besides of that, would it be possible to add a second multichannel sound-card into this HTPC?
My surround receiver doesn't support the Bluray codecs like Dolby HD Master etc., but it has analog PCM inputs. So I am thinking of a soundcard which does the decoding and send it analog to 5 outputs.

I am not sure if 2 soundcards will interfere with each other.

Any advice??

I have been using the Essence ST with H6 daughter card for a couple of years in our 5.1 system. Very happy with it, especially for the price. We have Klipschorns and other Klipsch Heritage which are very revealing speakers. Also we go straight from the soundcard to our power amps.

I have heard that the H6 card is no longer being sold, but that could just be a bad rumor. It could probably be found used somewhere though.

Don't consider using two soundcards. It's just about impossible to sync them, at least this is the case with most soundcards.

Rod

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 07:43:43 pm »

I have been using the Essence ST with H6 daughter card for a couple of years in our 5.1 system. Very happy with it, especially for the price. We have Klipschorns and other Klipsch Heritage which are very revealing speakers. Also we go straight from the soundcard to our power amps.

I have heard that the H6 card is no longer being sold, but that could just be a bad rumor. It could probably be found used somewhere though.

There is about 4 New H6 on Ebay.  Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 H6 Extension Card (Compatible with Xonar Essence ST)
The seller is located out of UK, but ships via the mail, so shipping costs are rather low.   I ordered 2 yesterday.  
Here is the seller's company, which lists more than 4 on their site.  http://www.langtoninfo.co.uk/showitem.aspx?isbn=4719543051054&loc=GBP
Amazon UK has one, and Australia as well.   Seems everyone but the USA. 

Another option is the HT Omega Claro Plus http://www.htomega.com/claroplus.html.  You can buy this card off newegg.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up