INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How I fixed "Server is not reachable" message!  (Read 1424 times)

jeffspl311

• World Citizen
  • Reaper of Righteous Riffs
How I fixed "Server is not reachable" message!
« on: March 03, 2012, 04:20:25 pm »

Just skip to the last paragraph if you want to skip my tale of woe...

I've been really frustrated with 1 of my 3 machines not being able to serve up their files to the internet. My Win 7 machine and 1 of 2 Vista machines work just fine, but the other Vista machine could never get past the "Test connection to this server...".

Like a good forum member I searched and searched, and tried everything I read no matter how weird it sounded.

One of the messages mentioned firewalls, and I knew I had made an exception in the Windows Firewall for Media Center 17, but I double checked it. Yep, exception was there. On a lark though, I decided to turn the whole firewall off. BAM! It connected in no time!

AH HA! So then wasted a bunch of time making exceptions for things to match the firewall exceptions on the working machines and turning the firewall back on. Back to being blocked. Then I even deleted the Media Center app from the exceptions list and added it back and turned it on. Still Blocked.

Ultimate, and very simple solution... go the the Advanced Tab of the Windows Firewall Settings dialog and click Restore Defaults. Then go back to the Exceptions tab to add back/enable the few exceptions that you actually need... including Media Center 17.

I hope this helps...

Cheers,
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up