INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Remote on Win XP  (Read 6824 times)

jfuzz

• Recent member
MC Remote on Win XP
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:41:58 am »

I can't even figure out how to post because I'm a beginner's beginner! I can't get my computer to recognize my MC remote receiver. I need help and I can't even find out how to do that. My tone portrays my level of frustration. I have MC16 and I've downloaded the driver, I think, and nothing happens. When I download the driver all I get is an option to save or not, no install wizard. I've tried all of the trouble shooting options, but the receiver doesn't appear on the device list. Now what do I do?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
MC Remote on Win XP
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:20:18 am »

Is it this remote?
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Remote

If so, instructions are at the bottom of the page.  You don't need to download a driver, but you may have to add a device under Remotes in MC setup.  Check both HID and Microsoft MCE.

jfuzz

• Recent member
MC Remote
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 12:18:10 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply. In fact I wasn't expecting it so fast so I wasn't watching. That is the receiver, but the remote is also an HP device. When I follow the setup directions I checked then Devices and it says an MCE is active, but when I press next a box comes up informing me that I don't have the receiver in a USB port. I then check the Universal ......  and the ebox is not there.

JimH

• Administrator
MC Remote
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 12:20:46 pm »

Check the device that has "HID" in the name.  Check all but "USBUirt" and "IRMan".

When you press a button on the remote, do you see the receiver flash red?

jfuzz

• Recent member
MC Remote
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 02:17:02 pm »

I'm back and I have the time to solve the problem. Thanks again for your response. When I press a button on the remote the receiver does flash. I'm not sure what you mean by "check the devices ....."

JimH

• Administrator
MC Remote
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 04:03:12 pm »

Under MC's settings for "Remote Control", there is a devices setting.  In it there are four choices.

jfuzz

• Recent member
MC Remote
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 04:58:47 pm »

This next question will show how much of a beginner I am. Where are the settings you talk about? Do you mean Tools>Options>Remote Control? All I get there is the setup screen for the remote.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
MC Remote
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 05:18:33 pm »

Near the bottom of the remote setup window it says "Devices & Options" click there and on the next screen there is a drop down menu where you select the device type/types you have.
Sean

jfuzz

• Recent member
MC Remote
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 09:58:51 pm »

On my screen the first two boxes are checked, Microsoft MCE and Remote, keyboard... They are both active.

JohnT

MC Remote
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 08:10:45 am »

It sounds like you have the right options checked.  If you are running Media Center and you mouse click to highlight a music track in the list view, then press the play button on the remote, does it start playing?  Do the volume up/down and mute buttons work?  Does the green button start up Theater View?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jfuzz

• Recent member
MC Remote
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 09:44:47 am »

The remote will not perform any function at all. When I press any key on the remote a light flashs on the receiver, but no response from MC. The "ebox..." does not appear in the USB controller list either. So my take is that my computer won't recognize the receiver. My OS is XP so that is why I thought I needed the driver offered by Paul on your site.

JimH

• Administrator
MC Remote
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 10:27:07 am »

If you start MC manually and go to Theater View, do the left and right arrows work?

jfuzz

• Recent member
MC Remote
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 11:05:52 am »

I went into Theater View manually from MC and no the arrows on the remote do not work. I can navigate around with my keyboard, but not with the remote.

JohnT

MC Remote
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 11:45:51 am »

So the Windows XP driver didn't install for this device?  What driver are you using and what is the model number of the receiver device?

jfuzz

• Recent member
MC Remote
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 11:56:51 am »

The driver is the one offered on your instructions for the remote. It says that "....XP users may need this driver...". The receiver is an HP Model OVU4001/00. As far as the downloaded driver, I'm not sure if it installed because when you get the driver it sounds pretty flakey to me because you may have to point the wizard to it as many as 6 times. I can't even get a wizard screen.

JimH

• Administrator
MC Remote
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 12:03:36 pm »

The driver is the one offered on your instructions for the remote. It says that "....XP users may need this driver...". The receiver is an HP Model OVU4001/00. As far as the downloaded driver, I'm not sure if it installed because when you get the driver it sounds pretty flakey to me because you may have to point the wizard to it as many as 6 times. I can't even get a wizard screen.
Try uninstalling the driver.

jfuzz

• Recent member
MC Remote
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 12:10:12 pm »

It will take me awhile since I have to leave for a bit, but I will return. I haven't given up.

jfuzz

• Recent member
MC Remote
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 02:11:39 pm »

OK, I have deleted the driver from the "Downloads" folder. I disconnected the receiver from the USB port and plugged it back in and nothing. The receiver does not show up on the USB controllers list and the computer doesn't recognize it. I still get a flash on the receiver whenever I push a button.

JohnT

Re: MC Remote on Win XP
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 09:34:35 am »

Please try the attached driver.  Just unzip the files into a convenient folder and then in Device Manager right click the device and select "update driver" then browse to the folder and let it install from there.

This worked on our XP Home computer in the office, let me know if it works for you.

If you don't see the attachment, the file is also located here:
http://files.jriver.com/other/irbus.zip

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 09:43:02 am »

I assume you're saying to download the driver again from the MC Remote installation instructions. The rest is total Greek to me, but I'll try to do something.

JohnT

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 09:57:20 am »

This driver is the Microsoft driver from XP MCE edition, but it seems to work fine on XP Home edition (and probably other ones as well).  The other driver you tried is from Pinnacle.

Just let me know if you need more detailed instructions for installing this device driver.

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 10:12:13 am »

I give up!!! You're assuming I have a lot more knowledge about computers than I do. This problem is way beyond me to solve so I'll try to find a friend to help me. If that doesn't work you can send me a return # and I'll send the Remote back for a refund. After that I'll decide on my computer audio future. I should have known that I don't have the skills or time to go to computer audio. I'll get busy now to find a friend, but I'll be back later with my results. Thanks for trying to help!

JohnT

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 10:35:58 am »

Sorry for the troubles.  You might want to consider updating to a Windows 7 system to make the process easier.  Having a fast computer with a good video card helps also.

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 10:49:28 am »

My computer is old so we bought a new one to replace it. That allowed me to devote this one to my stereo. The old one doesn't have the memory nor can it be loaded, and by now you know I don't have the skill to upgrade it. If I can't solve a Remote problem just imagine me going from XP to Windows 7. I could sell tickets to watch for entertainment.

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 02:55:53 pm »

OK, I think I'm making progress. In the Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager when I plug the remote in to a USB port "Other devices" appears. Then when I open it it says ".....driver not installed...". So I tried the "Install Button" and the "Update Driver" to no avail. It can find the irbus driver you recommended.

JohnT

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 03:21:57 pm »

Do that again and click the "Update Driver" button.  It asks "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software?",  answer "No, not at this time",  click Next to continue. 
Click "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)", click Next.
Now click the checkbox "Include this location in the search:" and click the Browse button.  Now "browse" to the folder where your irbus.inf and irbus.sys files are located.  Click the "Ok" button.  Click Next.  It should now install the driver.

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 03:36:17 pm »

When I tried "update driver" I didn't get the message so I'm lost again. I have a Buddy coming over at 3:00 my time 4:00 yours. I hope He'll be able to help me. Should I go back to the Pinnacle Driver if this fails? 

JohnT

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 03:44:43 pm »

It's probably the exact same process for the Pinnacle driver.  I'd try the one I posted (Microsoft) first.

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 09:03:05 pm »

Well my Buddy and I can't crack it so I'm lost at this point because he's the most computer literate person I know. I'll struggle with it a while longer, but if I don't win I'll have to admit defeat. I may be able to work on it a bit tomorrow morning, but then I'm tied up for three days. I'll get back with my trials and tribulations probably this week end. Do I have the right remote? It doesn't look like the one on your site.

JohnT

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 08:20:34 am »

Did the Microsoft driver ever install successfully?  If so, you should see something in Device Manager like "IR Home Receiver" or something similar, without any yellow warning icons near it.

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2012, 08:40:28 am »

I still can't get it to work. I did look at the Pinnacle Driver and it is labelled IRBUS just like the one you attached to a post, but they are different sizes.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 08:48:20 am »

My computer is old so we bought a new one to replace it. That allowed me to devote this one to my stereo. The old one doesn't have the memory nor can it be loaded, and by now you know I don't have the skill to upgrade it. If I can't solve a Remote problem just imagine me going from XP to Windows 7. I could sell tickets to watch for entertainment.

JFuzz, have you thought about trying the remote on your new Windows 7 machine, just to see if it worked there? If it doesn't work there either, it's possible the remote is a dud or you have the wrong model.

Did you buy the remote through JRiver?

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 09:01:14 am »

I'm not getting this thing near my Win 7 machine. MC is not installed on that machine. Yes I bought this kit from you guys. In an earlier post I gave you the model # on the receiver. It doesn't look like the one in the picture on your site, but that doesn't mean much or does it?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 09:04:01 am »

I'm not getting this thing near my Win 7 machine. MC is not installed on that machine.
It would be trivial to test.  Just install MC and then plug in the IR transceiver.  Start MC, go to Theater View (Green Button twice) and then try the arrow keys.

The benefit is that it will test whether the remote hardware is defective or not.

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 09:22:34 am »

Why don't I send it back and you guys test it. I don't have the skills or time to go through that. As I mentioned in an earlier post I'm tied up for the next three days. In fact, I have to leave here in a bit and get busy. I'll be back this weekend.

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 11:38:34 pm »

It's late, but I thought I'd check in. How about I send this remote back and we try another one. What is the process? Is it on line? I'll try to check tomorrow before I have to go.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2012, 07:06:54 am »

From your description, I don't believe it's the remote.  But send it back and we'll refund your purchase.

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2012, 08:51:26 am »

I would really like to try another unit in the off chance it's the wrong model or the unit is defective. I'll check MC's site to see how to return it. Usually I would need a return #. I won't get to it till this weekend. I have to go in a bit since it's snowing here and I have a long drive today.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2012, 09:33:30 am »

Please try it on Win 7 before you return it.

Just ship it to:

JRiver
125 N First St
Minneapolis MN 55401

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2012, 09:50:13 am »

I really want the remote to work. The computer that it's on is dedicated to my stereo. I just don't have the confidence to start playing with our home computer because it's too vital.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2012, 09:55:18 am »

You don't have to modify your win7 computer at all, but it will test whether the remote is good.

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2012, 09:15:14 pm »

OK, I'm ready for the weekend trials. I tried to install the driver for the remote one more time, but it didn't work. I'd like to exchange it because in the "Device Manager" it doesn't come up under "USB Serial Bus controller" as you documentation states. It start a new category "Other devices" and it is called "Microsoft IR Transceiver" not "ehome.....". This makes me think it could be a wrong model. How do I go about exchanging it?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2012, 09:38:41 pm »

Please try it on Win7, so we know if the problem is the hardware or the OS.

Or just return it and we'll refund your purchase.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 09:27:07 am »

We received the remote.  We tested it and it's working as expected. 

You'll receive a refund soon.

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2012, 10:45:17 am »

What is your best guess as to why I couldn't get it to work? Is it my inexperience or a software problem? I'd really like to have a remote. MC loaded up without any problems. My software recognizes my USB devices such as my V-Link and external disk drives. I'm stumped!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2012, 11:03:17 am »

I don't know.  I'm sorry.

I asked you to try it on Win7.  Did you do that?  Switching to Win7 might be a possibility.

jfuzz

• Recent member
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2012, 02:59:49 pm »

No I didn't try it on Win7 because I don't have the confidence to put the whole system on another computer. As far as upgrading the stereo computer to Win 7 it won't work. I don't think this machine will handle it. It's old and has the max memory it can hold, 1.2 G. Oh well I guess I will have to do without or buy a new machine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up