INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Android tablet as remote?  (Read 1558 times)

sKiZo

• World Citizen
Android tablet as remote?
« on: March 16, 2012, 12:14:16 am »

My MCE remote (IMON/Thermaltake) doesn't exactly blow my hair back with it's ease of use. I'm currently using a wireless mouse, which is fine for the basics, but ...

Seen a lot about Gizmo ... but ... I know nothing about androids. My cell phone makes phone calls ... that's it.  ;D

What I'd like to do is use a small tablet as a dedicated remote right in the stereo room. Just your basic navigation and playback thru the home system. I've seen bits and pieces that seem to suggest this is doable, but I wouldn't want to have to sign up for another online account to make it work. Also, I'd hate to buy a tablet and then find out it doesn't work.

So. Question. I have a 3G over the air wireless router/modem. If I add the tablet to my network, I should be able to use it to control my HTPC on the same network? I see mention of a "send invitation" feature where you just click a button in JRiver to email the android, then click that to establish the connection. Sounds like a no brainer - real kewl if it works as advertised.

And while I'm at it - considering what I want to do ... Gizmo or WebGizmo?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Android tablet as remote?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:06:25 am »

Yes.  You have it right.  Gizmo in your case.  WebGizmo is for non-Android devices.

sKiZo

• World Citizen
Re: Android tablet as remote?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 11:47:04 am »

... and just to make it perfectly transparent ... to the point where the angels will weep at it's clarity ...

All I want to do is send control signals from the android to the HTPC. No media server, no streaming or such ... for now anyway. I suppose I could eventually get into that, but my limit is 5 gigs per month. The 7" tablet I'm looking at is OS v2.3 and it has 4 gigglebytes of memory built in.

I can do this point to point thru the web without any major throughput hits instead of peer to peer? My wireless network router/modem/thingie CAN do peer to peer, but they advise against it. I don't have a "home network" as such - any time I need to transfer files, I use a thumb drive. Doesn't happen that often, so hasn't been an issue. I figure as long as the HTPC and tablet can "handshake" somewhere in the ether, it should do the trick.

PS ... killer software. I'm migrating over from the Big Green Button (XP MCE) and have had a few oh oh and aha moments ... for now the aha moments far outweigh the oh ohs. Once I get the remote thing out of the way, next project would be trying to make the IMON VCD readout on the case do it's thing. Not sure if that will integrate with JRiver or not.

But that's another thread. <G>
Pages: [1]   Go Up