INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Videoclock, MadVR and lack of dropped frames  (Read 2903 times)

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
Videoclock, MadVR and lack of dropped frames
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:47:07 am »

I've been playing about with display refresh rates and ROHQ and MadVR again.

I've previously reported a problem with my amp and its lack of support for 23.976 where it itself reclocks the output to 24 Hz even though I get near-as-dammit 23.976 output from my Nvidia GT430 with a custom resolution. So I've now resorted to setting MC up with 1080p24 for both the options (23p and 24p) for display mode. MadVR is also set to change display resolution automatically (1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p59, 1080p60 set). I use Videoclock to rehash the 23.976 files to 24 Hz and bitstream to off.

With this setup I get no visible stutter at all and smooth playback (MadVR exclusive mode). MadVR also reports zero dropped frames, so I can believe what my eyes are telling me.

However, MadVR OSD estimates for frame drops suggests otherwise. It starts off at suggesting a frame drop every 6s which is clearly balloney since I can see no stutter. This number progressively increases as time goes on and quickly gets up to minutes as the movie progresses.

I assume that the interaction between VideoClock and MadVR messes up this figure somehow. Anyway, I'm happy to trust my eyes since the 23.976 to 24 judder is something (Unfortunatley) that I seem sensitive to.

SBR

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
Re: Videoclock, MadVR and dropped frames
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 08:52:24 am »

Donīt look the estimated times;) All that matters is the dropped frames calculator... If you do not get any, then do not worry...
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

Sandy B Ridge

Re: Videoclock, MadVR and lack of dropped frames
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:04:36 am »

Donīt look the estimated times;) All that matters is the dropped frames calculator... If you do not get any, then do not worry...
Not worried!  ;D

More of a surprise. I set it up and started watching, saw the figure and thought - Whaaaaaaat! VideoClock is broken - kept watching for a bit and thought - but where are these frame drops I keep getting promised! - kept watching and thought - Weyhey! No framedrops!.

What was really annoying was battling against my amp with 23.976. The numbers were almost perfect 23.97548 or something like that, MadVR was reporting a frame drop/repeat every few hours or days or something...the dropped frame counter was zero, but my eyes were seeing the stutter every 42s. Drove me crazy! All the fault of the amp.

SBR
Edit: changed thread title to lack of

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 09:28:48 am »

The estimate is usually quite inaccurate for cases when you use ReClock or VideoClock, after running for a while it'll get better though.
As SamuelMaki said, the only reliable metric is the dropped frames counter.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 09:33:14 am »

The estimate is usually quite inaccurate for cases when you use ReClock or VideoClock, after running for a while it'll get better though.
Thanks. Yes, I assumed as much.
As SamuelMaki said, the only reliable metric is the dropped frames counter.
How about the Mark I Eyeball?

SBR

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 12:29:28 pm »

The Mark I cannot really be trusted. Unless you have at least a Mark II, lock at the stats. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up