INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intelligent Channel Stacking - Feature Request  (Read 1311 times)

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
Intelligent Channel Stacking - Feature Request
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:29:47 am »

There has been mention of this feature request in previous threads, such as the intermittent (most excellent) threads by glynor on trying out TV. It seems that now may be a good time to sow a few seeds in the minds of the Dev team about this feature!

TV support in MC has come along over the past few months with the nuts and bolts of different format support steadily announced over the past few months - first off DVB-T2, then DVB-C & DVB-S  and then QAM. Many users will have multiple tuners in their HTPCs and some form of consolidation of the tuners would be extremely useful.

Many people have mentioned the Sage method of lumping channels together that are the same channel, but different broadcast standard eg. The same channel can be broadcast via FTA antenna or via cable or via satellite. Those with multiple tuners in their system will thus have multiple copies of the  same channels. A way of 'stacking' these into one and an MC led intelligent selection of which to use would be helpful. You could set up a priority for each tuner for each stack. The channel would effectively only appear once in the EPG - MC would choose the best tuner to use.

I'm probably out of requests with the MC team now anyway (after pushing for DVB-T2 and DVB-S), but this would make me happy!

SBR

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Intelligent Channel Stacking - Feature Request
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 12:04:39 pm »

+1

As a beginner on this, I have started with DVB-S but my card also has two DVB-T tuners and, at some point, I will want to get them set up so will inevitably face the issue SBR is raising.  This is something that even WMC doesn't sort out.  It lists them by channel number and sat channels are numbered in a higher range than terrestrial.  I like this idea.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

texneus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 03:13:55 pm »

+1 for me too.  This should be basic functionality

I have three sources, 1 OTA, 1 QAM, one STB.  That means for some channels there are three sources.  In SageTV that I use currently (currently reviewing JR MC as a replacement) all my OTA channels are lumped into a single channel and the tuners are prioritized.  So (e.g.) 4.1 will tune QAM, OTA, or STB, in that order based on tuner availability.  It would drive me nuts if each tuner was listed individually...it should be transparent.

Harley Softail

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:55:46 am »

Hello all

I am using a Hauppauge 1440 and i am successfully scanning both DVBT (in Italy Free to Air ) and DVBS (UK Free to air over satellite). Please note that you should put the DVBT first and DVBS second when setting up your tuners. the oposit does not work correctly

However when changing channels the SW displays "wait" and then "adding required components..." can this be automated or Am i missing something?

Channel management should be reviewed, as many individuals have multiple tuners and as mentioned here above some stations will broadcast on multiple signals should provide with quick and easy deletion functions, MC17 Seems to collect more channels than winTV does. This brings me to suggest that a similar solution (such as you "panes view" functionality as your music and video Management solutions would assist the management of multiple sources delivering multiple signals and to quickly delete duplicates and to assign channel Groupings as "Genres". and in cases like myself be able to segregate channels by country. Furthermore When attributing Channel Numbers to a Station this could the default sorting and would be usable with a mouse in addition to the RC.

The selection of the TV environment should be moved to the same level of Video and Audio. this should also happen in theater view. In addition The watch and record should be available to all channels not on the ones with EPG content.

Your TV sections does need work, and would be happy to assist anyway i can

Cheers :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up