INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming to iOS Device via WebGizmo - How?  (Read 9574 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Streaming to iOS Device via WebGizmo - How?
« on: March 08, 2012, 01:37:28 pm »

Good day Forum!

I was told by JimH to bump my old thread regarding this and it still isn't getting any response. No big deal, but I figured I would start a new thread asking how others are doing this?  I cant be the only one trying this.

How are others using WebGizmo on iOS?  I cannot get it to play more than one song at a time.
How are others using WebGizmo on a regular PC browser?

WebGizmo appears to be sending out an m3u file.  When I tried to play back from my browser it asked what program to use for playback.  I tried Quicktime but it acted the same as the iOS and it actually was all distorted and glitchy like a corrupted file.

I Clicked on "Play All" again (on a single album), and this time told it to open in Foobar.  This at least worked for getting the next track to play.  But of course I cant see the playlist, seek the track or see album art.  Foobar simply states "Streaming-Unknown Station"

How is this supposed to work?

Can anyone else get iOS to play more than one song?

I cant help but think that the m3u file is simply not compatible with Quicktime or something.

Any thoughts?
-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

pcstockton

Re: Streaming to iOS Device via WebGizmo - How?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 02:54:36 am »

HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

pcstockton

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:37:43 pm »

anyone?  no one?

thanks.
-p

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 01:44:48 am »

Not working here either (iPad 1/5.01).

I can test more on Friday....
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:44:24 am »

thanks Mr.C.  I was starting to wonder if it was only me and some wonky setting somewhere.

I really dislike the bugginess of PlugPlayer.

Thanks,
Patrick

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:07:45 am »

I don't remember all the details when I set it up or which version of IOS is on her iTouch, but it seems to work fine for a friend of mine. Pick an album and hit play, plays the whole thing no problem. MC running on a PC and basically created a Gizmo bookmark in Safari, wirelessly stream to the Touch which is plugged in to a stereo...

MrC

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 11:36:29 am »

Last night, the playback controls stopped at 8 seconds from the end of the track, and nothing more occurred.

I think the Quicktime control mechanism broke under IOS 5.  Glynor mentioned it in another thread, and I confirmed the control is no longer rendered correctly in the browser.  I don't know if these issues are related.

pcstockton

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 11:38:03 am »

Merlin,

I would love to know more if you can recall anything later.  

WebPlay and WebGizmo have never worked for me.  Since MC15.

WebPlay usually doesn't even play.  WebGizmo will only play one song at a time which is useless for me.

How is this supposed to work on a PC's browser?  Is anyone using this?  It sends an m3u file which must be opened by something.  This isn't really playing the file in a browser.  Am I supposed to have Foobar or MC installed on the machine I am streaming to?

Thanks again everyone!
Patrick

pcstockton

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 11:45:21 am »

I think the Quicktime control mechanism broke under IOS 5. 

MrC,

I think it has been going on for far longer than that.  WebPlay has never worked properly since I bought MC15.  We were somewhere in iOS4 then.

Since WebGizmo released I have continually tried it with every build and never can get it to work.

Maybe my issues with PlugPlayer stem from this same underlying problem.  With PlugPlayer, when it bugs out, it simply stops playback close to the end (8 secs?) and wont skip to next track without a ">>".  You experiencing the same with WebGizmo is making me think PlugPlayer isn't the problem after all.

Does anyone use PP with MC for remote (off wifi network) streaming?  If so, how am is supposed to handle the "ignore Play events" and "ignore stop events" settings?  I always think these are a potential culprit.

Both WebGizmo and PP are so close to allowing perfect streaming but yet so far....

I would be willing to try anything else if anyone has had more success with another app or even device.

Thanks!
Patrick

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 01:49:58 pm »

Merlin,

I would love to know more if you can recall anything later.  

WebPlay and WebGizmo have never worked for me.  Since MC15.

WebPlay usually doesn't even play.  WebGizmo will only play one song at a time which is useless for me.

Not sure about "WebGizmo", but "Gizmo" in a browser was just introduced in MC17 a month or so ago. On my friend's iTouch I believe I setup a bookmark in Safari, http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:52199/gizmo, which connects to a PC running the library server. I believe playback is actually done by Quicktime on the touch, no artwork is displayed for playback, but it is there for browsing.

How is this supposed to work on a PC's browser?  Is anyone using this?  It sends an m3u file which must be opened by something.  This isn't really playing the file in a browser.  Am I supposed to have Foobar or MC installed on the machine I am streaming to?

Yes, you need something installed to do the playback, on an iDevice I believe QuickTime gets the call, on one of my PC's MC did the playback and on on a laptop running Linux (Wubi/Ubuntu) "Movieplayer" did the playback.

pcstockton

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 12:22:52 pm »

Good morning everyone,

I apologize for seeming to be impatient about this.  I suppose I will just let the subject die after this little bump.

Jim Requested I bump my earlier thread about this so I assumed the devs were maybe interested in sussing this issue out.

Should I just consider WebGizmo/Play to be broken for iOS?  It isn't really that big of a deal, I do have other options, but I made the potentially incorrect assumption that it would be better (less buggy) than PlugPlayer.

It is really that rare in the MC world?  Surely others must be trying to stream off network?

At the very least I figured devs would either want to fix the problem or stop pushing "WebGizmo for iOS" in the Forum headers.

Thanks again everyone,
Patrick

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 12:41:57 pm »

Just ordered an iPad, so this will be one of the first things I try. Not until 4/12 unfortunately...

MrC

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 12:50:02 pm »

It fails. The Quicktime control is not rendered in the correct location, and only a single file plays.

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 01:02:14 pm »

How does it do as a "browsing remote" for MC, using it to control playback on another machine?

MrC

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 01:33:15 pm »

It wouldn't be my first choice.  There are plenty of issues with it still, and there doesn't seem to be much active work on it.

Try JRemote instead:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68491.0

pcstockton

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 05:07:01 pm »

It wouldn't be my first choice.  There are plenty of issues with it still, and there doesn't seem to be much active work on it.

Try JRemote instead:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68491.0

Agreed.  JRemote is one of the best app I have ever bought.  Streaming to iOS, a la PlugPlayer, should be implemented on JRemote sooner or later.  This will make all of this a moot point (hopefully).

Is there anyone in the know from J River that feels like chiming in on this?

Cheers!
Patrick

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 01:49:51 pm »

Just to follow up a bit. I see the same behavior from WebGizmo on my new iPad as you have, it will only stream one song and quit. My friend's Touch does work as expected, select "play all" and it will stream the whole album, the touch is on IOS 4.3.3.

I did pick up My River and it does work very well, streaming and all, it's just a bit sluggish/jerky when scrolling though album thumbnails since it appears to build/re-build them on-the-fly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 01:53:48 pm »

Make sure you have MC17.0.122 installed.

pcstockton

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 03:11:09 pm »

Thanks Jim...  So it is fixed now?

pcstockton

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 09:00:52 am »

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIXED!  I can delete PlugPlayer!

Tried for a few hours last night while I was away from home.  Everything worked well.

Cheers!
Patrick

pcstockton

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 02:04:22 pm »

FYI,

The new features are SICK!

- Album Art
- Artist Name
- Playback Control (pause, next, etc)

But most importantly, "Play All" works wonderfully.

It is still only really useable on an iOS device for "remote playback" the "Pages" approach.  You aren't going to want to use this as a remote.  Go to JRemote for that.  The only way to realistically use this for any decent sized music collection is to use "Search" for an Artist, then scroll down to the album you want.

Cheers!
Patrick

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 05:20:58 pm »

The only way to realistically use this for any decent sized music collection is to use "Search" for an Artist, then scroll down to the album you want.

Cheers!
Patrick

Question: does this mean searching by song title doesn't work? That's certainly the case for me. A song title search always results in zero matches and I don't understand why...
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

pcstockton

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 06:25:27 pm »

I can search for Artists (always) and Albums and Songs (sometimes).

For example. 
"Mama"  Brings up artists, albums and songs with "Mama"
It even includes "Magma" - Artist

But "Uprising" returns nothing even though I have Bob Marley - Uprising in my library.  I can find that album with a "Diament" search that I have in the album tags. 

Strange.

The one thing I wouldn't mind seeing changed is how the list is sorted, or not for that matter.

When I search "John Zorn", I get a mishmash of "Artist", "Composer", and "Album" entries in no discernible order.

Thanks!
Patrick

rjm

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 07:16:22 pm »

I initially posted these questions in another thread but think they belong here instead.

I did some tests with WebGizmo on my iPad and have some questions about how it should work.

I can play iOS compatible video (mp4) on my iPad and I can redirect to my Apple TV via AirPlay. Very nice!

1) I set Video Conversion to MP4 480p in Client Options of Media Network in the hope that iOS incompatible video (like avi, mkv, flv) would play on my iPad. It does not work. Is this a bug or do I misunderstand the video conversion option?

2) Audio plays as expected on my iPad. However the expand window arrow in bottom right corner of playing album does not work (note: it does work when playing video). As a consequence I cannot easily get to the AirPlay button when playing audio. Is this is a bug?

SteveGoff

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 06:33:42 pm »

I have Gizmo running well on my iPad, though when playing to the iPad it only seems to do music well, with no transcoding of video. And I have embedded it as a URL on my iPad remote control, which I use to control Media Center in Theater mode. Here is a screenshot:

The buttons to the right of the Gizmo window provide complete control of Media Center in Theater view, and thus provide an alternative means of control. Some other buttons control the volume on my preamp. With either the Gizmo insert or the buttons for onscreen control I can access and launch music, videos, pictures, etc.

pcstockton

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 08:05:24 pm »

what "remote app" is that?

thx,
Patrick

SteveGoff

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 11:49:22 am »

what "remote app" is that?

thx,
Patrick
iRule

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 02:35:22 pm »

I initially posted these questions in another thread but think they belong here instead.

I did some tests with WebGizmo on my iPad and have some questions about how it should work.

I can play iOS compatible video (mp4) on my iPad and I can redirect to my Apple TV via AirPlay. Very nice!

1) I set Video Conversion to MP4 480p in Client Options of Media Network in the hope that iOS incompatible video (like avi, mkv, flv) would play on my iPad. It does not work. Is this a bug or do I misunderstand the video conversion option?
I'm pretty sure the video conversion is fixed in WebGizmo.
2) Audio plays as expected on my iPad. However the expand window arrow in bottom right corner of playing album does not work (note: it does work when playing video). As a consequence I cannot easily get to the AirPlay button when playing audio. Is this is a bug?
I noticed that too. The html5 player does expand in some browsers but not on Safari iOS.
I'll need to check the video on my iPhone..

Jong

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 06:50:00 am »

Hi!

Running latest MC17. I have web Gizmo running on my iPad, but have two issues:

- Cannot switch slideshow to fullscreen. The button in the bottom left does not seem to do anything, unlike on my PC, using Chrome. Any solution?
- Playback of video does not work at all - I get a spinning disc that never stops. Is there something I need to set up?

Thanks for any help.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 07:50:55 am »

Just to confirm I am also running the latest webgizmo on my iPad 3 and video streaming fails to work.
. Any ideas why this is.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 12:44:46 pm »

We haven't implemented html5 based video streaming in webgizmo yet (it currently uses flash).

Jong

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 01:03:50 pm »

Ah!! OK...  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up