INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JR MC17 cannot read tags created by dBpoweramp CD Ripper  (Read 3651 times)

mdx1

• World Citizen
JR MC17 cannot read tags created by dBpoweramp CD Ripper
« on: October 24, 2012, 02:55:56 pm »

I  decided to re-rip some of my own CDs to take advantage of the AccurateRip offered by dBpoweramp CD Ripper as those tracks were ripped by the Windows Media Player some years ago.

Based on the recommendation from the ComputerAudiophile site, the CD were ripped to AIFF, FLAC and mp3 formats.  Using the dBpoweramp Reference Release 14.3, the rips were accurate.  The AIFF tags looked fine when viewed with the dBpoweramp ID editor.

However when importing those .AIFF files into JR MC17 (17.0.186), some of the files were imported without any tags (unassigned) and had to be manually edited. I do not remember that was the case when I used the same tools with JR MC15.  This problem is repeatable on several CDs.

Is this a known problem?
Nelson

northnb

Re: JR MC17 cannot read tags created by dBpoweramp CD Ripper
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 04:32:06 pm »

I'm having the same problem and it appears that others are as well. I can use ITUNES to rip AIFF which MC17 picks up without any loss of metadata, but I would like to use dbpoweramp as it seems better at picking up the artwork, so I appreciate any input on how to solve the problem.

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 05:34:54 pm »

Thank you for confirming the problem existence.  I know dBpoweramp has AccurateRip but not sure if iTunes has that.  The Windows Media Player certainly does not not.
Nelson

Dearborn

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:06:02 pm »

I too am experiencing the same problem.  albums that I rip in iTunes are recognized but dbpoweramp always has issues with tags, even from the same album when I import them into MC17.

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:41:17 pm »

My current workaround is to rip to FLAC and then convert back to AIFF.  I am going to report this on dBpoweramp forum as well.
Nelson

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 11:41:53 pm »

Installed the dBpoweramp R14.4 beta and everything is working again.  There is also a workaround for fixing those AIFF files for those who do not want to re-rip affected files.

Nelson

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 02:19:53 am »

Please no! I just finished ripping 600 or so albums to wav,  flac, mp3 and m4a using dBpoweramp but am yet to import to MC. All based on the sage guidance from Computeraudiophile and ensuring i got accurate metadata down to the composer level. So if MC is going to have a problem importing the metadata as tags I think I might have to take a long walk. Anyone know if this problem affects these file types?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 02:09:27 pm »

Please no! I just finished ripping 600 or so albums to wav,  flac, mp3 and m4a using dBpoweramp but am yet to import to MC. All based on the sage guidance from Computeraudiophile and ensuring i got accurate metadata down to the composer level. So if MC is going to have a problem importing the metadata as tags I think I might have to take a long walk. Anyone know if this problem affects these file types?

I can speak to FLAC - it's all we use for all our music and I do use dbPowerAmp a LOT - MC handles everyone of them perfectly.

Off topic feature request - I most certainly "would" use MC for all my ripping - exclusively - if I could somehow make the program NOT add the ripped tracks to the main library.

However - for my specific music metadata workflow - this behavior is annoying beyond belief. So until there an option like this - I must resort to third party programs that do nothing but rip the disk accurately so I can tend to the actual file placement myself.

VP

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 02:37:59 pm »

I only rip to AIFF, FLAC and mp3.  Among them only AIFF is affected.  FLAC is never affected.  I did not check mp3 and do not use m4a.

Tagging wav files can be tricky.  In the past I tried that with Windows MC and gave up after repeated loss of metadata (tags) when WMC crashed.  AIFF is basically taggable wav (never compressed) but it is an Apple standard.  Luckily, JR MC supports it.

You can easily fix the AIFF metadata problem by using the ID Tag Update utility codec and run it form the dBpoweramp Music Converter.  It can apply to thousands files in few minutes as nothing is converted except the metadata is refreshed so JR MC can pick up correctly.

As far as I know, this problem is caused dBpoweramp, not JR MC as others had similar issues with iTunes.  The author of dBpoweramp was super helpful and provided this workaround first and then came up with the R14.4 beta update to completely solves the problem for all future CD ripping.
Nelson

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 02:42:27 pm »

- I most certainly "would" use MC for all my ripping - exclusively

I don't think JR MC supports AccuriteRip which is the main reason to use dBpoweramp.  If JR MC supports it, I would likely use it but the multi-coder feature of the dBpoweramp CD ripper is hard to beat.

I could not believe that I could even hear the difference with a pair of good Audiotechnica headphones when my CDs are re-ripped and marked as AccurateRip.
Nelson

Vocalpoint

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 02:53:31 pm »

I don't think JR MC supports AccuriteRip which is the main reason to use dBpoweramp.  If JR MC supports it, I would likely use it but the multi-coder feature of the dBpoweramp CD ripper is hard to beat.

Well - I have been in a few threads here regarding AccurateRip - and it seems that the MC devs are not too concerned with it. Some will say - just because some checksums from my drive line up with 7 other people out there - doesn't necessarily mean much either. For the record - I think both MC's rips and those by dbPowerAmp are very secure and very good....

....now if I could just find that checkbox that says "Do not add ripped tracks to Library"...:)

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 03:56:31 pm »

Accuraterip is, in my opinion, a solution in search of a problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up