INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ROHQ - DVD quality MKV's are very choppy on i5 system (1080p is fine)?  (Read 4546 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Running the lastest version of MC (17.0.103).  When watching DVD quality MKV files using ROHQ, the quality is basically unwatchable on my i5 system (JRMark Benchmark = 2514).  1080p BluRay/HDDVD quality MKV files play back perfectly fine with ROHQ, so I don't think it is a processor power issue.  Only real difference I can see between RO and ROHQ is that RO uses the Enhanced Video Renderer, and ROHQ uses MadVR (which I would prefer for my HD content).  Is there a setting I can check or change to help, or does MadVR just currently suck at DVD quality MKV files?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

It may be more of a GPU (not CPU) processing power issue as madVR uses different scaling algorithms that hit the pixel shaders.  You don't mention what GPU you are using but you may what to try changing the madVR upscaling (both Chroma and Luma) to something that does not use "taps" (such as Lancsos) - eg Mitchell-Netravali and see if that helps.
JRiver CEO Elect

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team

It is a Lenovo laptop, using the built in Intel graphics processor hooked up via HDMI.  Looks like the choppiness is there with the enhanced video renderer too now (just not as bad).  Wonder if the newer drivers are having issues (they did get auto updated recently).  Does appear to be a scaling issue - running at 1:1 pixel resolution is smooth.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

madVR may too taxing for this one, but try the changes in the scaling algorithms and madVR to also run in Exclusive Mode.
JRiver CEO Elect

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen

MKV's are playing fine now in ROHQ on my i7 with Intel HD 3000 graphics. My DVD's & Blu-ray's are compressed into H.264 with Handbrake.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team

MKV's are playing fine now in ROHQ on my i7 with Intel HD 3000 graphics. My DVD's & Blu-ray's are compressed into H.264 with Handbrake.

I keep the original video especially with DVD.  Most DVD content to me is unwatchable after re-compressing to H.264, so that is really not an option here.  Even at 100% I am seeing choppiness now - may try downgrading the driver level to see if that helps.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

The other thing you can try is to toggle Tools --> Options --> Video --> [] Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible (and try it with both RO and ROHQ then settle for the combo that works well).

JRiver CEO Elect

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team

madVR may too taxing for this one, but try the changes in the scaling algorithms and madVR to also run in Exclusive Mode.

The one thing that looked like it has helped was changing the MPEG2 decoding to ffmpeg.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I'd be surprised if your PC is CPU bound, but have a look at Task Mgr while it is playing and see if you have high loads.  With HW Accell ON with RO it should be low on this PC and there is no need to change to custom filters for MPEG.
JRiver CEO Elect

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team

I'd be surprised if your PC is CPU bound, but have a look at Task Mgr while it is playing and see if you have high loads.  With HW Accell ON with RO it should be low on this PC and there is no need to change to custom filters for MPEG.

Thanks.  Will take a look a that next (but later since wife is tired of me messing with it while she is trying to watch a movie).  At least for the moment the ffmpeg setting is working on this system.

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
Re: ROHQ - DVD quality MKV's are very choppy on i5 system (1080p is fine)?
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 12:54:26 am »

I keep the original video especially with DVD.  Most DVD content to me is unwatchable after re-compressing to H.264, so that is really not an option here.  Even at 100% I am seeing choppiness now - may try downgrading the driver level to see if that helps.

I have not experienced the picture quality degradation you describe with the latest version of Handbrake using their default "High Profile" setting.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 09:55:37 am »

I have not experienced the picture quality degradation you describe with the latest version of Handbrake using their default "High Profile" setting.

If you compress to H.264 at an appropriate bitrate, the visual (apparent) quality is not impacted.  Certainly not from an MPEG-2 DVD.

Handbrake isn't always the best converter, but the current versions do a decent job.  Most people who get bad results get them because they are trying to compress things too much, or they mess with presets when they don't know what they're doing.

My target for standard def MPEG-2 -> H.264 encodes is usually around 1GB per hour with VBR encoding.  If the particular film has lots of slow fades or fast action, I'll go a bit higher.  Most rips you can find online try to squeeze a two hour movie into 700MB, which does lead to bad compression artifacting (though H.264 handles this way better than older MPEG-4 ASP codecs like XviD).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

elsid

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 03:17:32 pm »

In ROHQ you can use ctrl-j to view madvr's stats during playback. Check for dropped frames, render time etc. I'm no pro but by own dvds (encoded h264 w/ handbrake also) play great on a much weaker system. Aren't there fps / refresh rates that have to be matched up? Could that cause this problem?

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 05:12:07 am »

Are you using VideoClock and have you configured refresrates right? Your system probably should play those DVD-mkvs just fine, make sure you are using IVTC for 29.97 material!! Press ctrl+alt+t to change betveen video and film... If properly selected, the stuttering should go away, if its not related to GPU-power... Give it a try ;) If your dvd-mkvīs are 25, then you must configure your refresrate to 50hz, or use VideoClock or ReClock and configure both madVR and ReClock to do PAL-Speeddown (and set your refresrate to 24hz)...
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 05:01:23 pm »

No refresh rate issues here - NTSC content on an NTSC TV.  Having issues across the board with MPEG content on the machine.  Even HDTV shows in .mpg containers are stuttering.  Last night I completely uninstalled MC and reinstalled from scratch - back on the default RO standard and don't see the issue yet.  When I get some time will switch back to ROHQ (which works 100% for high bitrate 1080p H264 material on this machine) and see if it still stutters.

As to the 'recompress with handbrake' discussion - sorry, but I can see very noticeable differences after re-compressing to H264 with Handbrake.  The MPEG2 content on the DVD is already bad enough, and the video is worse after running through Handbrake (or any other program) to compress even more.  If you can't see the difference, then just be happy that you can't and can reclaim the extra drive space.  And yes, I just retested with the latest handbrake on High Profile with all default settings and the problems are still there.

NickF

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 06:36:27 pm »

No refresh rate issues here - NTSC content on an NTSC TV.
This doesn't mean that MC is using the correct display frequency for your NTSC videos.  You need to set up Display Settings to change to 29 or 59 for NTSC or get madVR to do it where it's being used.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

jgreen

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 07:16:26 pm »

FWIW, I'm busy converting TO MKV because it seems to be a more reliably perfect screen render than DVD (.ifo) files. 

NickF

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 07:23:13 pm »

FWIW, I'm busy converting TO MKV because it seems to be a more reliably perfect screen render than DVD (.ifo) files. 

..and you can use madVR.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10
Pages: [1]   Go Up