INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which file type for bluray??? m2ts / mkv / iso ?  (Read 7576 times)

jcurry6664

• Recent member
which file type for bluray??? m2ts / mkv / iso ?
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:41:43 pm »

Can anyone tell me if there is one preferred file type for bluray playback with J River 17?

I had been using iso under my WMC7/MyMovies/TMT5 setup, but have recently discovered J River and have decided to abandon my WMC implementation.  I only keep the video stream and the lossless audio track.  Menus, warnings, extras, etc. are left behind.  I keep the best quality possible.  Disk space is not a concern.

From what I understand...
m2ts: native BR format; plays on many hardware platforms, does not support chapters.
mkv: slightly smaller than m2ts format; supports chapters, less platform support.
iso: not sure if there is any real advantage here; but I has used this in the past.

If I go with mkv, what functionality am i picking up with chapter support... do I actually see the chapter names or just the time stamps (I'm confused on this part)  Thanks for the help!!! 

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
Re: which file type for bluray??? m2ts / mkv / iso ?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 02:54:07 pm »

I rip the blu-ray video stream, lossless audio and subtitle directly to a folder structure and skips the rest. I then import the index.bdmv file into MC. It works really well and it DOES support chapters, multiple languages and subtitles if you rip them as well.

I used to use ISO files, but that way back when I had to use PowerDVD to play blu-rays. The above method load the movie a bit faster and I have no need to have a daemon tool installed, which I think is good.

I also have no need to have my movies in a single file, so the folder structure is best for me.

TLS

jcurry6664

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 03:03:56 pm »

That sounds pretty cool.  I think I'll give it a try.

Can you give me a little more info on the "I then import the index.bdmv file into MC" part?

I agree that not having daemon tools and a faster load time is a positive!!!

thanks for the help!

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 04:34:18 pm »

I prefer to only rip the main movie. That saves (a lot of) space on my HD and offers the benfit of immediate playback once i hit the "play" button.
For Blu-rays, I like to rip to M2TS. I use the free program ClownBD (from Slysoft). I have AnyDVD HD running in th ebackgound during the rip.

MKV is okay too, but I don't like the program as well as ClownBD. I use MakeMKV just for my DVD rips.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 04:38:46 pm »

You can start by ripping one movie to a folder structure. Then do a manual import of that folder "Import single folder". When you are being asked what file types to import, try and expand the video section. Under here you will find all the supported video types. Look for Blu-ray (bdmv,mpls) and make sure it is selected. Click finish and MC will take care of the rest.

Now you can add Meta data they way you want. This can of course also be set-up as an Autoimport function.

I use tsMuxerGUI that will make me select the streams I want and copy them to where ever I want to store them. It will make an uncompressed copy of the streams I have selected.

Good luck with it.

TLS

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 04:48:18 pm »

I started ripping the entire bd movies to folder structure, but after filling all my disc space I started ripping to mkv with MakeMKV leaving unwanted extras and languages out. I don't have AnyDVD HD so MakeMKV works great.

Z0001

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 01:35:03 am »

Is there any advantage of using the MC BD ripping function above what AnyDVD HD does.  I currently use AnyDVD HD to rip to iso, but wonder if MC offers advantages?

Z

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 03:23:29 am »

You still need AnyDVD or a similar program when ripping from MC. The same goes if you want to play a physical BD disc through MC. There is no decrypter built into MC.

TLS

Z0001

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 04:40:17 am »

I know a decrypted is needed, question was whether ripping a BD with MC was preferable to ripping with AnyDVD HD to an iso.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 05:29:54 am »

I haven't actually tried ripping a BD from MC. I only rip the main movie, language and subtitle. I imagine that ripping with MC would import the movie at the same time which could be considered an advantage. I suggest you try it.

MC will rip to a folder structure. I do the same but with a program called tsMuxerGUI. This means I don't have to use a daemon tool to mount the ISO file. Using folder structure or ISO is a matter of taste. The playback features are the same.

TLS

audioriver

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 06:32:21 am »

MC will rip to a folder structure. I do the same but with a program called tsMuxerGUI. This means I don't have to use a daemon tool to mount the ISO file. Using folder structure or ISO is a matter of taste. The playback features are the same.

In any case, I'd completely avoid Daemon Tools, or any software that uses the system-intrusive sptd device, which can cause problems. Although it might not mount all available image files, Slysoft's Virtual CloneDrive is a much better option.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Z0001

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 07:16:57 pm »

Thanks, sounds like I will stick with the iso route until slysoft release a cloneBD - I just need something along the lines of point and shoot that'll do the work for me.

Ta

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 08:33:51 pm »

I know a decrypted is needed, question was whether ripping a BD with MC was preferable to ripping with AnyDVD HD to an iso.

MC will look up the disk's metadata and the file will be imported into your system, ready to go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up