INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing Configs Does Not Work  (Read 1387 times)

audioqueso

• Recent member
Importing Configs Does Not Work
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:58:06 am »

Unfortunately, the Restore Library function does not work like it should.
I had MC16 running after having everything finally fine tuned.  I backed up the library several times and have multiple back-ups.
I tested it before by restoring.  Everything still was configured the same.

I moved.  The motherboard was changed, so I reinstalled Windows 7, drivers, then installed MC16.  Restore Library.  The only thing it restored was my album listing.  That didn't even map correctly, and nothing about the mapping had changed.
I update MC16, still nothing.
I upgrade to MC17, still nothing.

It's very disappointing because, more annoyingly, that means I have to reconfigure Theater Mode once again by trial and error.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Importing Configs Does Not Work
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:19:43 am »

Restore library does work.  Maybe you moved your files, too?  A different drive?  Our wiki has a topic on "Moving Files".
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files

When you restore a library, there is an option to also restore settings.

Theater View had structural changes that require doing the configuration again.

audioqueso

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 03:37:28 pm »

I have one harddrive with three partitions.
C: is my OS.  D & E are video and music.  I haven't touched D: and E: drive.  They are still intact and in the same manner as they were before.
The previous OS/MC16 configuration was as vanilla as possible.  OS and MC16.  I reinstalled.  Did the same exact setup.  But none of the configs were restored.  And yes, I did check the box to restore the configurations.
I asked back in December if the backup library would save all the configurations.
I do have backups since summer of last year up till December of last year.  None of them are restoring my configs.
It restores my music listing, but doesn't actually map them correctly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 05:36:19 pm »

Can you give an example?

For instance, hover over a track.  What is the location?  Then go look for it.  Is it there?

audioqueso

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 08:08:48 pm »

For example:
I import the library.
I go to Audio, and all my albums are listed there.
No thumbnails, but I assumed the thumbnails would have to be recreated. However, I can hover over any album, and it will read D:\[artist]\[album]\... and then list the file.  I go to that location, and it's still there.  It's still there because I never changed anything on my D: or E: drive.  However, if I try to play the file that way, it tells me that the file is not there.  If I double-click on the file from explorer, it will open up MC17 and play the file.  So I just deleted the library and imported the D: drive again.  Weird things like that.
I don't mind doing that, but it's losing my theater view configurations that really was upsetting because it took a long time building that just the way I want it (I don't use the regular menus, I created my own).
I still have my cloned hard drive with the previous c: drive still intact.  Is there a way to copy files from my previous working MC so that I can import my Theater View configs to the new harddrive?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 02:38:52 am »

I am suspecting permission issues. Could a security program be involved?

It might be good to try to resolve the issues separately.

Regarding the unplayable files, what happens if you select one of the files inside the library and do right-click > Locate > On Disk (external)? Does the file show up in Windows Explorer as expected? What if you do Locate > On Disk (inside Media Center)?

Regarding the settings, could you unzip the library backup file, create a new zip file of the two ini files in the "settings" folder, and attach it to your reply (select "Additional options..." to attach a file to a forum post.) I could check if the settings restore correctly on my machine and if that works, we could try to find out why it does not work for you.

By the way, did you change the operating system too? Was also your old OS Windows 7? 32 or 64-bit?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

audioqueso

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 07:51:19 am »

No security program.  And so far Windows security options are turned off.  I don't usually turn them on until I finish building a system completely.

I did not try the locate option.  I hovered over the files to confirm the location, but that's about it.  I've already deleted the library and re-imported.

I did not change the OS.  Same Windows 7 64-bit on both systems.  I did a clean install of the OS because of the new motherboard.  Unfortunately, Windows did not want to accept my new hardware nicely.

The thing is, when I did a restore before, my system was still intact.  So there really was no way for me to tell if it worked or not.

One question I have... does the software version have to match?
If I did a backup when I had MC16.A.B, will that restore work if I install MC16A.C?
Even though I do have MC17, I backed up while on MC16.  So I installed MC16 first, tried to restore it. When all failed, then I just started from scratch with MC17.

audioqueso

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 07:51:56 am »

And if the versions DO have to match, how can I tell what version the backup was made with?

audioqueso

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 08:37:36 am »

Following up to see if there is an answer to the last question posted.
Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up