INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Adding required components" takes ages. [Solved]  (Read 4439 times)

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
"Adding required components" takes ages. [Solved]
« on: March 14, 2012, 12:24:32 pm »

I just updated to MC 17.0.106 and after that tried to play a dvd from an .iso file. After confirming that I want to play from the virtual drive I get an "Adding required components" screen. However after 10 minutes it is still there and playback doesn't start. Moreover, when I move my mouse, MC crashes.
Am I doing something wrong here ?

Update: I tried it again and after about 15 minutes playback started finally. BUT when I try to play the file again, I get the "Adding required components" again and have to wait another 10-15 minutes.
Is this normal behavior ?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: "Adding required components" takes ages.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 12:38:46 pm »

When MC adds the "required components" it downloads them from a JRiver server. Is the PC connected to Internet? Is the connection very slow? It should not crash though.

On one of my PCs the latest MC17 build just updated the madvr and lav codecs. These folders in %appdata%\J River\Media Center 17\Plugins\... are about 21 MB. The update took less than a minute.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 01:09:40 pm »

Thanks for your reply.

I have a 50Mbits connection, but downloading from JRiver takes very long. To download the "new" version from JRiver website took around 45 minutes. When I choose to download from within MC it starts, but after 5 minutes it stops and I get an error message.

And what I still don't understand is that when I stop playback and play the same file again, the "Adding required components" screen comes again. Isn't it supposed to do it only once ?

I think I will give up on using MC and return to using TMT5 and MPC-HC. I thought MC was a great all-in-one solution - and it looks like one - but it is giving me too much issues.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 01:21:07 pm »

I experience the same sometimes, and I have a 30Mbs connection. Sometimes a hard process shutdown is necessary. Sometimes the components were actually successfully added, sometimes not and then the process starts again. I have not found any pattern to it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 01:22:30 pm »

"Security" software is a likely cause.  What OS?

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 01:38:32 pm »

"Security" software is a likely cause.  What OS?

I have Avast and MS Security installed but the Real Time Protection and Shields are disabled.
Meanwhile I checked the madvr and lav folders in appdata and both folders are empty. So apparently nothing is downloaded.

Another update:
During the "Add...." screen I monitored the madvr and lav folders and saw that something was downloaded there but only until a few hundreds kb's. Then playback started and the folders were empty again. This is getting really annoying.

Oh...forgot: OS is Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 04:26:21 pm »

I have Avast and MS Security installed but the Real Time Protection and Shields are disabled.
Meanwhile I checked the madvr and lav folders in appdata and both folders are empty. So apparently nothing is downloaded.

Another update:
During the "Add...." screen I monitored the madvr and lav folders and saw that something was downloaded there but only until a few hundreds kb's. Then playback started and the folders were empty again. This is getting really annoying.

Oh...forgot: OS is Windows 7 Professional 64bit.
Try to download them manually and add in the folder and register...
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 04:39:04 pm »

It is almost impossible to get it running correctly. Probably I was too soon with buying a license and should I have tried the Trial Version a bit longer before hitting the Buy button. Fortunately I could upgrade my "old" MC10 for a reduced price, so that the loss isn't that big.

I first tried MC 17.0.99 and after several tries I finally could play something without having an "Adding required components" screen for 10-15 minutes. Then I updated to MC 17.0.106  and the problem started again. But even after several tries I kept getting the mentioned screen. Apparently the required components were not added whatever I tried.

Thinking that the updated version could be the culprit I restored a system image that I made after installing MC 17.0.99 and tried to play something. Again the dreaded screen. Impossible to play a file without waiting 10-15 minutes.

I have a rather fast (50Mbit) internet connection, disabled Real Time Protection in Avast and MS Security Essentials and have no problems in any other application. Until buying MC I used TMT 5 and MPC-HC and everything played fine.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 04:50:17 pm »

If the components aren't downloading into the relevant area, maybe the permissions are messed up on the folder, or some security software is preventing download into the folder. Try running MC under an administrator account or disabling UAC.

I've just reinstalled MC from scratch into a vanilla install of Win7 and have had no issues.

SBR

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 05:15:29 pm »

Tried that, ran MC as administrator and no success. Same problem.
During the "Add...." screen I took a look in the Plugins folder (in appdata) and saw that a madvr.zip was downloaded. However after the size was  a few hundreds of kB's, it suddenly stopped and disappeared. The madvr folder is still empty.
This is driving me crazy meanwhile. I can download everything else without problems and with high speed (e.g. 40GB in about 1h30m).

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 05:28:44 pm »

I'm going to send you a URL which you can paste into your browser.  It is to JRiver's MadVR package.  See how it downloads to your desktop.

See your private messages here (I won't post the URL here to prevent abuse).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 05:40:03 pm »

Please don't start new topics on this.  I realize it's frustrating, but what you're seeing is not normal.  It is not a JRiver problem.

It is very likely related to some "special" "security" software on your PC.  The only other thing I can think of is a throttling back by your ISP.

If you have another PC, it would be interesting to try it there.

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 06:09:37 pm »

Sorry Jim, I was getting a bit angry little by litlle.
Apparently it has somehow to do with downloading from JRiver. I tried the link that MrC gave me and although I could download it, it took around 15 minutes for a 4,5MB file.
I also tried downloading the trial version of MC (although I already have a registered one), to see how fast that goes. The download goes with 4-5kB/s.
I did both with IE and Chrome as well. No noticable difference.
For comparison I downloaded a trial version of TMT5 from Arcsoft and the 50MB file was complete within 30 seconds !
So throttling apparently occurs but only for JRiver.
Downloading from usenet goes with 56Mbits/s

Btw, AFAIK I don't have special security software. Only Avast and MSSE, both without real-time protection. Moreover, if I had it, wouldn't that influence downloads from other websites as well ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 06:11:23 pm »

Can you test on another PC?  That will give you a better idea where the problem is.

Our servers aren't slow.  It's not that.  Most files are on Amazon's S3.

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 06:20:03 pm »

Sorry, I forgot to mention that.
I already tried it from my laptop, but with the same negative result.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 06:45:24 pm »

If both machines have the problem, then it's possible that your ISP is doing something odd.  A routing problem there could explain it.

Or its possible that the same software installed on both machines is causing a problem.

It would be good to report the problem to your ISP.

But it's worth trying to power cycle your network, all the way back to the wall.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 07:23:38 pm »

If you enjoy trouble-shooting, you could install Fiddler and watch what's happening to our requests to download dependencies (they'll be calls to http://files.jriver.com):
http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/

Please let us know what you find if you decide to pursue this.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 08:01:08 pm »

Or its possible that the same software installed on both machines is causing a problem.

But it's worth trying to power cycle your network, all the way back to the wall.

Thanks Jim. I did both meanwhile. That is, I uninstalled MC from my laptop AND I reset my modem (I assume that that is what you mean by "power cycle", disconnect from the power and reconnect after a few minutes. I am Dutch, so English is not my native language) and now everything went perfectly.
Adding the required components took only a few minutes and updating to MC 17.0.106 also went fine as well as adding the (new) required components afterwards.
So everything works fine now. I only don't know what did the trick, resetting my modem OR uninstalling from my laptop.
I thought it was o.k. to install MC on more than one pc. So was it the resetting of my modem ?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 08:38:05 pm »

Temporary MTU problem over the route from the Nederlands to the US, cleared up by the reboot?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 06:35:14 am »

So everything works fine now. I only don't know what did the trick, resetting my modem OR uninstalling from my laptop.
I thought it was o.k. to install MC on more than one pc. So was it the resetting of my modem ?
Probably.  Good news.

Ton

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 07:32:55 am »

Probably.  Good news.

Meanwhile I installed MC 17.0.99 again on my laptop and updated to 17.0.106 from within MC. Took only 1 minute now.
So it is almost sure that the modem was the culprit and that resetting it solved all.
Thanks again for the help.

Sandy B Ridge

Re: "Adding required components" takes ages. [Solved]
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 07:39:50 am »

Stop Press:

'Solar flare activity shuts down Dutch network'
 :P

SBR

Pages: [1]   Go Up