INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TrueHD/DTS MA over analog  (Read 1127 times)

elsid

• Recent member
TrueHD/DTS MA over analog
« on: March 14, 2012, 01:34:18 pm »

I know MC can decode TrueHD and DTS MA (with the right .dll provided), but is it possible to send that to my 3.5 jacks (onboard or discrete sound card)  then to my avr (just an amp in this situation)? This works fine for DD/AC3 currently.

Will there be a protected audio path problem or HDCP issue?

If it does work, what happens when down mixing from 7.1 to 5.1 - are the extra channels mixed in or dropped?

I could just get a new avr(HK avr 146 currently - no hdmi, and only DD/DTS), but it seems everything should work like this.

I'm on win xp pro sp3, and mc 17.099

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: TrueHD/DTS MA over analog
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 01:41:07 pm »

When JRiver decodes the audio it is no longer protected nor are there any HDCP issues. Many of us here use analog output directly to amplifiers, but it also works with an AVR if you have analog inputs. When JRSS downmixes from 7.1 to 5.1 the extra channels are mixed in.

elsid

• Recent member
Re: TrueHD/DTS MA over analog
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 08:40:49 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply Mojave :) I know my onboard audio is less than ideal...my htpc actually has horrible onboard audio compared to my desktop rig. Oh well, I didn't actually plan to use the analog out, it's just happened that way.

Is there a decent sound card you can recommend in the sub $100 range? Most of my searches come back with $150-$250 cards, and this makes me suspicious of the lower cost ones.

Maybe: http://www.amazon.com/PCI-Express-Channel-XONAR_DX-XD-90-YAA060-1UAN00Z/dp/B0017DJXG6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331776004&sr=8-3
Pages: [1]   Go Up