INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play txt files with Gizmo?  (Read 1874 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Play txt files with Gizmo?
« on: September 04, 2011, 06:40:17 pm »

I'm using a Android 3.1 tablet with gizmo.
I double-click on a recipe (txt file) and all I get is the cover art of the recipe in what seems to be a Playing Now type screen.
How can I get it to open the text file using the Android default txt program (Docs to Go)?
(I can't associate text) files with that program on my main machine because Docs to Go doesn't exist there).
I do have text files set as "automatic" in MC.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

lise

• MC Beta Team
Re: Play txt files with Gizmo?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 06:01:22 pm »

Can be done? Can't be done?
We wanted to stick our Android tablet on the wall above the kitchen counter to display recipes while cooking (and to select some tunes while we are at it, of course).  MC is my docs database as well, so I would really like this to work.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 06:03:35 pm »

Probably not right now.  But we'll see if we can do it.

I like the Android as a post-it-note idea.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 10:11:30 am »

I am still hoping MC will allow playing text files via webgizmo in the very near future.
Jim, are you still looking into this?

It's exactly what tablets are made for. Leave one in the kitchen, use gizmo to access your recipes, and voila. Start cooking.

See Using MC with documents for examples of how cool it is to use MC for docs.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:22:50 pm »

I thought that was added the last time you brought it up.  It should use notepad or whatever owns the file type when you double click on it.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 03:45:10 pm »

Jim, it doesn't work. Maybe having cover art interferes, because all I get are the images, and when I select a txt file that has cover art in MC my tablet just plays the image and there's no way to get the text file.   I have a few txt readers on the tablet, so I just selected one to be the default for all txt files just in case that was the issue. I rebooted and still all I see using gizmo when I open my txt file is the cover art.

Update: even when the text file has no cover art, it plays the icon for a text file (you know, that piece of lined paper). I also tried playing a pdf file (I have documents to go and it should play that) and still it was just an image.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 03:52:23 pm »

Sorry.  I missed the part where you said WebGizmo.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 03:58:13 pm »

Sorry.  I missed the part where you said WebGizmo.

I don't know if you specifically mean "Web"Gizmo, but I am referring to regular Gizmo on the Android tablet or phone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up