INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 17.0.82 giving problems playing audio from media server  (Read 1273 times)

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
MC 17.0.82 giving problems playing audio from media server
« on: March 16, 2012, 04:06:41 am »

This rehashes a topic that was discussed upthread in 17.0.31. I poked around and didn't see anything more recent, so am reopening it.

I upgraded to 17 from 16. I seldom had this issue before the upgrade - it's much more frequent now.

The setup is straightforward: The upstairs PC is the server, with music both on the C and a large number of attached external drives. Server particulars are as follows:

Microsoft Windows Vista 6.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)
Intel Core 2 2665 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 4194 MB

I run an 802.11n wifi system, and the downstairs PC/client connects to the music library through the server. Signal strength is very good at the location. (The downstairs unit then connects to my audio system through an external DAC, but I don't think this beard on the problem.)

The great majority of my files are FLAC and APE, and I've elected conversion where necessary. I have prebuffering set at 6 seconds.

There are times the client plays flawlessly. Other times, it will play 60-90 seconds, burp, and then shift to the next file in the playlist. This repeats itself continuously. I can't purge it by closing and reopening MC or even rebooting the client.

Oddly, I use the server in my office, over the public access wifi, and it plays seamlessly even though the office client has far less horsepower. I can't recall more than 1-2 incidents over many months. And I seldom had this problem with 16.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm getting tired of jumping up to fiddle with the client. Thanks.

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 17.0.82 giving problems playing audio from media server
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 05:35:05 am »

You're running an outdated build. Try to update. It's possible there have been some fixes.
Other than that, I do not have much experience with streaming audio I'm afraid. Does it do any difference if you increase the buffer time?
Perhaps others can be of more help.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 05:56:19 am »

17.0.99 is on the download page.  Please try it first before going on.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 08:10:11 am »

zootsuit, I've had similar problems with MC17 at times and I believe they might be related to my wireless network. If updating the JRiver software doesn't solve the problem, here a few ideas you could try to troubleshoot the problem.

- Make sure there are no IP address conflicts in your router, especially involving the client machine
 - Try a different wireless adapter on the client machine
 - Try using JRiver with other PCs on your home network. Do they have the same problem?
 - Enable the guest network feature (if your router has it) and connect through it.

I've had similar problems in the past. I rebuilt my OS (XP), and problems still continued. I changed my wireless adapter and things improved considerably. I still get occasional buffering pauses, but the "burp -> shift to next file" behavior hasn't appeared yet.

Good luck!

Otis Foster

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 06:48:00 pm »

Thanks wig. I upgraded to 0.99 per jim's suggestion - still had problems.

We've been experiencing router issues with our elderly Buffalo beginning to drop Internet access, so I replaced it today with a Netgear 900 and programmed port forwarding. Still having some interruptions. It's not the server itself - per my first post, I use a small and underpowered Netbook as a client in the office and it plays flawlessly. I'm getting strong signal readings at the home client (checked it with Speedtest). I guess it could be something in the client adapter but it's not easily accessible. We live in an old Victorian, with thick walls but I went some years with earlier builds and little or no interruption.

Zootsuit

• World Citizen
  • too cool for school
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 06:28:37 am »

Did a reinstall. Seems to have solved the problem for the time being.

Thnx for the help, Jim/wig
Pages: [1]   Go Up