INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover flow not flowing with large collections  (Read 2298 times)

Bricktop

• Recent member
Cover flow not flowing with large collections
« on: March 16, 2012, 01:23:31 pm »

I am enjoying the new Theater Views very much compared to what was available only a few months ago, but I must say that with a very large collection, when gliding through, my machine slows down quite a bit as the covers rotate or swing into view.  I am not running a monster, but it should be plenty for a gui. I am suggesting that perhaps you do away with the 3D swinging effect of the covers and just have an apple style cover flow such that the entire collection of covers does not have to come into view when scrolling for a longer period of time.  I hate to be another bringing up XBMC, as I do think most of J River is far superior, but most of the skins used in XBMC have a much better feel and smoothness to the presentation when a coverflow style is presented. 

Just a suggestion.

Keep up the great work.
Bricktop.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cover flow not flowing with large collections
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 01:36:29 pm »

Pehaps try a different Cover Art view/style. Use the "Toggle List Style" button in Theater View to make a change. Theater View >Movies (or Audio) >More >Toggle List Style.

Bricktop

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 01:43:07 pm »

I have. The thing is, I visually like the cover flow style, and for selecting a movie while viewing covers from my seats on the projector screen, it is the easiest for all viewers to see. The other views are much smoother, they just lack the pizazz the cover flow style has.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 01:56:38 pm »

I agree. I like the pizazz too. Are you using client setup (streaming) or are you on the same computer as the movie/cover-art?
What are your computer specs?

Bricktop

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 02:45:45 pm »

Two PCs. One is my server, with eSATA directly connected. It has an i3-2100 and an AMD 5570 video card, a vertex 3 SSD, with 4 gig of 1333 ram.  The other is wired over gigabit ethernet running an AMD Phenom x4 965 overclocked to 4 gHz with dual ATI 6850 and a vertex 3 sata 6 HD with 8 gig 1600 RAM - both stutter when in this view.

I like the coverflow style, but the 3D swinging is not conducive for a smooth interface with a large collection. It didn't do that when I only had a few of my hard drives imported into the library, but as I added the rest, it started getting worse.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 03:00:25 pm »

My opinion:
I would support an option for disabling the 3D swing animation as well. I would like to remove it from all list styles if I could. It does not give me anything, and it just takes a faster machine to draw the picture.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up