INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gross revenue doesn't sort correctly  (Read 1504 times)

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
gross revenue doesn't sort correctly
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:34:08 pm »

I have 170 1080P MKV movies under my movies tab, I went and hit the get tv & movie info for each of my movies and saved the data, I believe it resides in the sidecar file.

Under each of my movies one of my thumbnaill text lines is 'gross revenue', I also have 'gross revenue' as a column in panes.

When i go to sort my movies by 'gross revenue' it doesn't do it properly, is that because the info is in a sidecar file or is it because there is a dollar sign in front of each of the 'gross revenue' figures.

can anyone shed some light on this?

thanks
 T to the C  8)

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: gross revenue doesn't sort correctly
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 03:47:10 pm »

The Gross Revenue field is just a "string" (a sequence of ASCII characters), so it will sort in character sequence order.

Unless there are changes to make this an integer (and this would likely be an issue, since there would be no currency indicator), you'll probably have to force sorting by manipulating the field via expression to be a number.  If you want to do this, can you share a few exact values for Gross Revenue? (I don't have any).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:38:35 pm »

The Gross Revenue field is just a "string" (a sequence of ASCII characters), so it will sort in character sequence order.

Unless there are changes to make this an integer (and this would likely be an issue, since there would be no currency indicator), you'll probably have to force sorting by manipulating the field via expression to be a number.  If you want to do this, can you share a few exact values for Gross Revenue? (I don't have any).

Inception - 2010
Revenue = $825,532,764

MrC

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:06:23 pm »

Try an expression column instead:

If(isempty([Gross Revenue]), Unassigned, $RemoveCharacters([Gross Revenue], /,$))

This won't have thousands commas though.

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 03:45:22 am »

Inception - 2010
Revenue = $825,532,764

So sad.  that bums me out.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 08:59:29 am »

Our string sorting system has smart number handling.

I wonder if it just doesn't like the commas?  Are you in a locale where comma means decimal?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 12:05:22 pm »

@Matt: FYI - I originally only removed the $ and allowed the commas to remain, but the sorting was incorrect.  I had to remove the commas in the expression for tcman41.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 11:52:31 am »

This one is deceptively tricky.

The ambiguity between , and . as the decimal makes it hard to support either reliably.

And then, often dots are used as delimiters in downloaded filenames so assuming the dots mean "treat as a decimal number" for sorting could lead to other issues.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

vagskal

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 02:56:00 pm »

Would it be possible to check if the string to sort contains only digits and . or ,? I guess there would not be many filenames that include only digits (at lest if the extension is included in the file name).
Pages: [1]   Go Up