INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A/V Sync correction help  (Read 5934 times)

Bengi010

• World Citizen
A/V Sync correction help
« on: March 17, 2012, 04:17:04 pm »

Can someone explain to me how the A/V sync is supposed to work because it doesn't seem to do anything.  Right now the voices are a little ahead of the video... as in I hear the words before the lips start moving.  Now I don't know if that means I should use a positive number or a negative number to correct it.  But I've tried both and it doesn't seem to make a difference.  I noticed there are 2 sync options, one for 24 Hz displays and one for 50, 60 and 120 Hz.  Mine is 60 but I tried them both just to be sure and still no positive effect.  I've tried, as a test entering numbers like 500 or 5000 so I know I should hear/see a difference, but it doesn't do a thing.
Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                          Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 1000w PSU, Lian-Li PC-B25F ATX Tower,
                                   Dell S2716DG G-Sync Monitor & AOC 2230 Monitor, Corsair Hydro H60 Cooler,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: A/V Sync correction help
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 05:06:24 pm »

For some time I struggled with the same, and could not get the delay to work. The reason was simply that at some point in time my computer stopped being powerful enough (JRiver benchmark ~1300), and in some movies the effect was that a/v sync was shifting and impossible to get stable. New computer (benchmark ~3800), problem gone.

Given sufficient CPU/GPU:
If your video processing downstream the htpc takes some time and video is behind: Positive offset number in milliseconds.
If audio is behind video: Negative offset number.

The function works, but I have always needed to stop playback and start again to get the effect. Makes the process a bit of a pain, but should be necessary to do only once.

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:23:48 pm »

JRiver benchmark ~1300

How will be the JRiver benchmark calculated?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 06:08:18 pm »

I've tried, as a test entering numbers like 500 or 5000 so I know I should hear/see a difference, but it doesn't do a thing.

A/V sync correction requires our audio engine.

Make sure you're using Red October Standard or HQ in Options > Video.  Test with Bitstreaming set to None.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Trumpetguy

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 09:07:06 am »

How will be the JRiver benchmark calculated?

Help menu->Benchmark

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:41:33 pm »

I think stopping and starting the movie between adjustments worked.  Everything else I'd already done.  BTW I thought I had a pretty fast computer but my benchmark is only around 1850.  What are you running to get in the 3000s?
Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                          Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 1000w PSU, Lian-Li PC-B25F ATX Tower,
                                   Dell S2716DG G-Sync Monitor & AOC 2230 Monitor, Corsair Hydro H60 Cooler,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

Trumpetguy

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 07:16:04 am »

I think stopping and starting the movie between adjustments worked.  Everything else I'd already done.  BTW I thought I had a pretty fast computer but my benchmark is only around 1850.  What are you running to get in the 3000s?

1800 should be fast enough, but 1300 was a bit low when doing 8 channel audio convolution with the new 64bit convolution engine in MC. Without that audio processing, I would be surprised if your computer isn't up to it.

Asus P8Z68 motherboard,
16GB DDR3 RAM 1600,
Intel Core i7 2600 3.4GHz optmized by asus to some 4200GHz,
CoolIt Vantage A.L.C. CPU cooler (liquid to air heat exchanger)
MSI GForce 1GB GTX750Ti. 
Win 7 64bit PRO

;D

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 08:45:04 am »

MSI GForce 1GB GTX750Ti. 

Is this what comes after Kepler? Maxwell?

Mmmmmmmm...... Nice!

SBR

Trumpetguy

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 09:58:55 am »

Is this what comes after Kepler? Maxwell?

Mmmmmmmm...... Nice!

SBR

/OT
Huh? I wouldn't know  ;) The video card is about one year old, and was primarly chosen because it does not produce too much heat and noise. Link to test:
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3802/msi_geforce_gtx_560_ti_1gb_twin_frozr_ii_video_card/index.html

What would Kepler and Maxwell refer to?

/OT

EDIT: Aha! I'm boasting about things I do not have. Somehow I typed in 750Ti, when the correct model is 560Ti. That's a bit less impressive, I guess....

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 03:39:26 am »

1800 should be fast enough, but 1300 was a bit low when doing 8 channel audio convolution with the new 64bit convolution engine in MC. Without that audio processing, I would be surprised if your computer isn't up to it.

Asus P8Z68 motherboard,
16GB DDR3 RAM 1600,
Intel Core i7 2600 3.4GHz optmized by asus to some 4200GHz,
CoolIt Vantage A.L.C. CPU cooler (liquid to air heat exchanger)
MSI GForce 1GB GTX750Ti.  
Win 7 64bit PRO

;D

Hi Trumpetguy,

I will use JRiver in a similar situation with 8 channel audio convolution (new 64bit convolution engine in MC) and A/V sync. How much RAM will be required for optimal results? You have installed quite a high amount of 16GB DDR3 RAM 1600. How high is the load of CPU and RAM? Would you please post a screen shot of Windows task manager to show the load of CPU and RAM?

My actual new PC setup is possibly to low for the demand of 8 channel audio convolution and A/V sync.

topically on the the way to me:
MSI P67A-G55 board
MSI N450GTS Cyclone

topically not yet bought:
Intel Core i5-2500K
exceleram Black Sark DIMM Kit 4GB PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1333)

topically in use:
Win XP 32Bit
AMD Athlon X2 4800+

probably recommendable as upgrade:
Win 7 64Bit PRO
8GB DDR3 RAM 1333
Intel Core i7-2600K

IMO DDR3 RAM 1600 does not benefit of sandy bridge CPUs. Not until Ivy Bridge CPUs will prefer DDR3 RAM 1600.

I am not a gamer, only interested in optimal audio and video. What´s your comment to my setup and upgrade options?

Further hardware:

RME Fireface UC external soundcard and Acourate as software for active crossover

TBS-6922 DVB-S2 PCIe card and DVBViewer as software for HDTV

Trumpetguy

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 01:46:42 pm »

Hi,
here is my task manager performance graph when playing Avatar ripped to mkv container. I found my old AMD Phenom X3 to be the bottleneck, it simply didn't have enough computing powers when both playing full HD video and doing 15 paths convolution. The video itself with un-processed audio was ok, though, after I got the nVidia geforce 560Ti video card. Increasing from 8 to 16GB RAM I do not believe did much. Just to be on the safe side. But comparing my old setup based on the old AMD processor is difficult, since I actually built a whole new computer when replacing it with the i7.

But to sum up, I believe it was the CPU power that was too low.

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 02:23:50 pm »

Thanks for your reply and the screen shot.  :)

So the bottle neck is not RAM size but CPU speed. JRiver and other software are using meanwhile multiple cores with GHz tact to speed up the data transfer. Therefore the best way is to get a very fast CPU and according RAM up to 4GB.

For the same subject I have opened here a thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71988.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up