INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating filenames  (Read 1136 times)

GaryM44

• Recent member
Updating filenames
« on: March 18, 2012, 12:40:05 am »

I have two folders of midi files converted to WAVs --- "Bluegrass Midis" and "Jazz Midis."

The files originally had abbreviated, cryptic names, and when I imported them to MC it used those filenames for the track names. Later I renamed them all to more informative names.

Seems that Media Center will *not* change those track names, no matter what. I tried:

* Deleting those albums from the album list and re-importing. It re-imports using the old names.

* Tried deleting the albums, closing MC, deleting all of the MC cache files in \user\AppData\JRiver, and restarting MC. Of course, it then begins a re-import. When it finishes all the files have the same old names!

Where are those track names stored? What do you have to do to convince MC that the files have new names --- uninstall it, purge the registry of all references, and then re-install MC?

javidan

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Updating filenames
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 06:08:52 am »

Hi Gary,

1) Did you rename the file externally or using MC17?
2) When you are importing, which feature did you use? Right-click Media Center import or Tools->Import->Import single folder?
3)If you were using Tools->Import->Import single folder, did you uncheck the option "Ignore files previously removed from library"?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Updating filenames
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:34:25 am »

Gary,

I wonder if you have confused the Name library field and the actual physical filename. The Name field shows metadata (aka a tag value). This library field is not directly linked with the filename. Inside MC you can check the Filename library field to see the filename that is used by the operating system.

When you edit any tag (including the Name tag) the new value is stored at least in the internal database (i.e. MC's library). When file tagging is enabled (it is by default), the changed metadata is stored also in a dedicated tag area inside the media file when this is possible. Most audio formats support adding metadata and the tag values can be stored inside the file. The WAV format is a bit special case. It used to be untaggable, but the recent versions of MC can optionally tag WAV files. Starting from MC17 this option should be enabled by default, but you can find instructions for checking and changing its state here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WAV_%26_AIFF_Tagging . Unfortunately most other programs (including Windows Explorer) do not support reading WAV tags.

You can use the Rename, Move, & Copy Files library tool to mass edit the Filename library field values (and thus the physical filenames). For example, if you use [Name] as the filename rule it will change the filenames to be the same as the Name library field values.

You can also edit the Filename field value directly when you want change the name of a single file.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up