INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning the Database  (Read 1415 times)

Trino

• Recent member
Cleaning the Database
« on: March 19, 2012, 03:12:52 pm »

Hello Experts,

one question from Germany. I very often ad my JRiver Database by importing new folders including new songs. That works perfect and quick. But what can I do, to eliminate old Folderpaths, which aren't actual any more (because they where changed or deleted for any reason). Is there a function included to easily and quick clean those bad paths out of the database ?

Thanks very much  ;D

Trino

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cleaning the Database
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 03:22:17 pm »

Yes.

It is part of the Auto-Import system.  If you turn on Auto-Import, and enable the "Fix Broken Links" option (best to use the "protect network drives" version though), it'll remove broken links from the database.

This works even if you aren't actually importing anything via Auto-Import (so the folder list is empty), I believe.  It certainly operates on folders that aren't in the folder-list, anyway (much to my repeated displeasure).

Another, more manual, way to do it is to use a "Is Missing" smartlist.  You can use this in a search to have a view or smarlist restricted to only missing files:
[=IsMissing([Filename])]=1

Please Note:  That search performs very slowly, especially if you apply it to your entire library, so use it with caution.  You'd certainly not want it to be in a view you use every day.  It works great as a special-use smartlist or view though.  Just be aware that when you click on the view or list, it might take a minute or three to open up.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Trino

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 03:39:53 pm »

Hi Glynor,

thanks very much for your quick answer. My problem and mistake is my own storing system. I own a huge mp3 collection (and JRiver is the greatest Software to manage it !!!), for every artist one single folder. Every artist folder includes a number of the included albums.

Example "ACDC 12" >> That means there are 12 albums of ACDC included.

When I now ad one more ACDC Album, the Main Folder will be renamed by "ACDC 13"

When I now re-import my Main Musicfolder, the result is, that I have the new folder "ACDC 13" but also the old folder "ACDC 12".

I know, my system sounds stupid for every Database Expert, but there are some reasons for me, to keep this structure.

Is the JR Auto Import System reasonable for my System ?

Best Regards  ;D

Trino

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 03:47:41 pm »

Point Auto-Import to the root of your music folder and you'll be set.

Ideally you should rename inside Media Center, although Auto-Import can handle it if you do not.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 03:47:50 pm »

If you are going to change the folder names from outside MCs control, you'll want to run Auto-Import to fix the broken links.

MC can provide the counts of albums for you, so you might be making this hard on yourself needlessly.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Trino

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 04:13:09 pm »

Thanks for your posts !

I checked my Auto Import Options and found the "fix broken links Option" disabled. I remember I disabled it myself some weeks ago, because it teased me, that I always lost my Folderpaths when I forgot to turn on my external harddrive.

But now I learned, it is sensefull to enable it. To use JR for every operation is also a target, takes some time..  ;)

Best Regards from Germany  ;D ;D ;D

Trino

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 06:29:43 am »

The "Fix broken links: Yes (protect network files)" option is supposed to also preserve library files that are on disconnected external drives.

You can also set Auto-Import to not run in background. You can still start it manually whenever preferred. (This is what I use. I even have the Run Auto-Import Now button on my top toolbar for easy access.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 03:33:17 pm »

...but take note... changes made to files while Auto-import is disabled are not automatically pushed out to files later.  This must be done manually, or it will occur after a subsequent change is made to the same file.

In other-words, MC doesn't maintain a list of files that should be updated while Auto-import is disabled.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up