INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mapping 8-Ch DAC to Multi-Zone  (Read 1116 times)

ccclapp

• Junior Woodchuck
Mapping 8-Ch DAC to Multi-Zone
« on: March 22, 2012, 11:55:59 pm »

Hi

--I have a mytek 8x192 (8-ch) DAC.
--I have 2 zones:  Zone 1=2.2(= 4ch) /  Zone 2= 2.0(= 2ch) / Combined = 6 discrete channels

Question: HOW TO "MAP" CH 1-4 TO ZONE 1 AND CH 5,6 TO ZONE 2?  
Said another way:  on a single m-ch sound device, how does one select some channels for one zone and other channels for the second zone?  

In MC DSP/Output Format I can set # of speakers I want, but that just seems to map to the 1st channels in every zone.  How do I tell zone 2 to map to ch 5&6?

Thanks!!!
--Caleb

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Mapping 8-Ch DAC to Multi-Zone
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 09:41:10 am »

There are a couple ways to do this.

With ASIO, you can set the channel offset (the starting channel) in Options > Audio > Output mode settings...  With DirectSound, you can do something similar.

Otherwise, you can always output 6 or 8 channels and use DSP Studio > Parametric Equalizer > Mix Channels to route sound where you want.

Keep in mind that most hardware will not allow exclusive output (ASIO, WASAPI, etc.) to two zones at the same time.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ccclapp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 10:23:54 am »

FABULOUS ITS WORKING PERFECTLY!!

Im heading toward 2 zones each with separate x/o and DRC from 1 DAC for local and loopback audio sources....  Way to go MC!!

--Caleb

ccclapp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 11:41:49 am »

Pushing the envelope here, but...

In case this helps others:  The Mytek (and I suspect most/all DACs) can only receive a single sample rate.  If using one DAC for two zones and playing different sample audio in each, you need to convert the sample rate of for one or both zones so they are the same:
DSP/Output Format.  Note:  to set all to a single sample rate, right click in the box.  If you set both zones to convert all to the same rate, everything will play without conflict.

MATT:  The above solves the issue described.  However, for critical listening times for the best sound quality, am I better not doing sample rate up-converting?

Thanks again

--Caleb
Pages: [1]   Go Up