INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VideoClock audio quality in speed-up mode  (Read 1112 times)

audioriver

• Citizen of the Universe
VideoClock audio quality in speed-up mode
« on: March 23, 2012, 02:49:27 pm »

I played today a 23.97fps file in 50Hz mode (on my 50/60Hz only display) and it was much smoother than the usual 60Hz mode playback. I assume VideoClock speeds up to achieve this. What I remember about ReClock is that when it did this, the audio quality suffered a lot (stereo/multichannel image degradation etc.). I wonder if VideoClock manages to solve this problem, or if the quality loss is inevitable in this case.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Videoclock audio quality in speed-up
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 02:53:10 pm »

You can always look at Audio Path to see what (if any) changes are being made.

By definition, VideoClock puts the quality of the video above the quality of the audio.  However, the sound change from Video Clock is subtle and basically impossible to detect in most cases.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Trumpetguy

Re: Videoclock audio quality in speed-up
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 04:53:19 pm »

However, the sound change from Video Clock is subtle and basically impossible to detect in most cases.

Except if you are doing frequency domain audio processing, such as using the convolver. Then you would need fixed and audio sample rate equal to your filter sample rate. You get real funny audio effects out of it if you try combining such DSP with VideoClock or ReClock.

audioriver

Re: VideoClock audio quality in speed-up mode
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 04:47:11 am »

So even for this considerable amount of speed-up (23,97=>25), there's no quality loss? Great news to hear.   :)
Windows 10 Pro x64

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
Re: VideoClock audio quality in speed-up mode
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 04:57:24 pm »

So even for this considerable amount of speed-up (23,97=>25), there's no quality loss? Great news to hear.   :)
Well, the difference is as big as playing speedup PAL-content (so, the quality is the same as PAL DVDs and PAL TV...). I can hear the difference and it annoins me, but if you can live whit it... You also save about 5min of time :)
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64
Pages: [1]   Go Up