INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 17 does not update filename. Should it?  (Read 1432 times)

drc

• World Citizen
MC 17 does not update filename. Should it?
« on: March 24, 2012, 05:37:29 pm »

This may take a moment to explain correctly.

Problem:  When using "update tags from Library" I notice MC 17 doesn't make changes to filename, filename path, & filename (name). 

situation. (Allow me to describe my process).  I use a program which many may also use (MP3 Tag editor) to tag my mp3's.  All tags are updated to include the filename.

I then open MC 17, Hit "Run Auto import" and all tags are updated including file name, etc.    vice-versa, I have often noticed misspelled words or made minor changes within in MC-17 such as name change which I thought was being updated in the mp3 file.

an example would be,

Must be the musiz… which I changed to Music.

or

changed Trk 1 - must be the music to
            Trk 5 must be the music

what I have discovered is all though I've made the changes and updated the tag in Media Center and it seems correct, the actually file name is still unchange.  The change seems to take place only in the library.

I have to open MP3 Tag to truly update the MP3 file.

The biggest problem is I've been using this method "uptate tag from library" feature for a long time.  Bottmline, a lot of my MP3 tags file are not correct.

I can correct this over time, but the true question is, can MC actually update the filename, file patch within the MP3?

My Folder rule:  Artist - Album
My file name rule is:  Trk# - Name

hopefully that makes sense…  Is there any way to make Media Center change the file name, etc.

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 17 does not update filename. Should it?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 05:50:47 pm »

I am sure others will provide comments but

1. Don't understand why you use a tag editor.  I used to use that one, but MC is better.
2. A filename is not a tag and is not going to be updated?
3. If you are actually changing the filename (the name of the file), what is going on is more complicated than a mere update to tags.  I may not understand.
4. If you are updating tags with an external editor, than you want to "update library from tags."  You do NOT want to "update tags from library"  The library is a database and you want it to match the tags you just changed.
John

drc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 06:03:46 pm »

thanks for the quick response... makes a lot sense and i see my confusion. 

using mp3 tag editor, with it's connection to discogs is invaluable.  Correct me if I'm wrong MC only connects to discogs, but doesn't have tag capability?

Thanks again!

jack wallstreet

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 07:02:14 pm »

I have never used discogs or anything like it, so I don't know the answer to that.
John

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 07:03:04 pm »

There's no connection w/Discogs.  You can create a link in the Links area which can bring you to the web page for the Artist/Album, but MC won't be grabbing tags directly.

For CDs, MC will download info from the JRiver CD database called YADB, and will fallback to FreeDB.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 08:19:12 pm »

makes a lot sense and i see my confusion.

By this I assume you now understand there is no connection between filenames and tags. If you change the filename—by changing the filename field in MC or externally—you're changing the filename. Conversely, changing the file tags or any other field in MC does not automatically change the filename.

using mp3 tag editor, with it's connection to discogs is invaluable.

You can use MP3 Tag Editor to get data from Discogs and write it to the file tags. Then Update Library (from Tags) will add that data to the extent there are matching fields in MC. Where there is no default matching field, you can normally get the data by adding a custom field with exactly the same name of the tag field. This is important to understand, as it means any application that can get data (MC can't) and write it to tags properly can be used to get data. It's then easily passed to MC via the file tags.

If Update tags when file info changes is set, changes in MC will automatically be written to tags. That can be done manually for selected files using Update Tags (from Library).

javidan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 02:55:57 am »

thanks for the quick response... makes a lot sense and i see my confusion. 

using mp3 tag editor, with it's connection to discogs is invaluable.  Correct me if I'm wrong MC only connects to discogs, but doesn't have tag capability?

Thanks again!

Hello,

tags and filenames are seperate things. You can think of it as tags were invented/created to supplement the restriction of file names. They are commonly used in picture files, audio files and video files.

J River actually internally has a tag/field called "Filename" to seperate it from "Name" if it helps.

j River doesn't connect to Discogs like MP3Tag and it offers connection to a seperate database known as YADB instead. I understand that it has the ability to connect to freedb as well. (They are all alternatives to Discogs.)

I personally do not use J River's DB connections as they do not give me sufficient information so I tend to use an external program to get my tags and after tagging them, I use the command "Update library from tags" to instruct J River to re-read the files to get the new updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up