INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tools/Advanced Tools/Analyze Audio  (Read 2447 times)

sKiZo

• World Citizen
Tools/Advanced Tools/Analyze Audio
« on: March 25, 2012, 01:55:22 am »

Playing around with that. It's apparently a smart dsp algorithm that equalizes playback levels. Doesn't seem to affect the dynamic range of individual tracks, just the average volume. I found the tool whilst tap dancing thru the menus and thought I'd give it a shot. Just selected the entire library and let er go. Each track gets a database entry, and each track is adjusted per that entry on playback if you enable volume leveling in the DSP options window. You can also flip a software switch so the feature will run automatically on any new rips. From CD anyway.

The results are all over the map, as I'd expect considering the many original sources. All show reduced decibel settings between maybe -3.5db and -15db. And also as you'd expect, the playback volume is definitely down. Er ... duh, right? <G>

I also found a feature that allows you to compensate for that. In the volume leveling window, select "fixed" in the ADJUSTMENT dropdown, then enter a value that works for you. In my case, +8 balances the average listening level back to where it matches my other stereo components. The tweaks made per the audio analysis database entry for each track are still applied, so using my original example, a -3.5db setting would actually result in +4.5db on playback. Theoretically.  Anyway ... looks interesting.

Couple questions - there's not a lot I can find that goes into the internals of the audio analysis. Replay gain ... I get that. The rest of what I see in the database are geek to me - peak level I sort of understand, but what exactly are "BPM" and "Intensity"?

Also, I would have thought I could just select a track in the database window and delete the setting entry. Handy for tracks that are supposed to be quiet. Only option I get is to delete the track completely from the library. Huh. Looks like maybe my only option there is to manually turn off volume leveling when I'm listening to that sort of music? Maybe there's a database editor that I'm missing?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Tools/Advanced Tools/Analyze Audio
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 02:28:27 am »

Couple questions - there's not a lot I can find that goes into the internals of the audio analysis. Replay gain ... I get that. The rest of what I see in the database are geek to me - peak level I sort of understand, but what exactly are "BPM" and "Intensity"?

A few tidbits here:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File_Properties_%28tags%29

Search for those fields.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 12:51:12 pm »

Also, I would have thought I could just select a track in the database window and delete the setting entry.

You can always modify the individual tags on a per song basis or whatever you select first. Just right click and select Tag, then you get all the tags in the Action pane on the left.

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 07:32:07 pm »

Kewl ... found em.

Yet another reason to like this package ...

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:30:42 am »

Looks like maybe my only option there is to manually turn off volume leveling when I'm listening to that sort of music? Maybe there's a database editor that I'm missing?

Why would you need to turn it off? If MC has assigned Replay Gain (which is really what Analyze Audio is) - it will assign the right replay gain value to a quiet track and you should never have to remove or alter anything.

I currently have 30,000+ tracks here - every one of them analyzed by MC and I am using a Fixed value of +6. Have never ever had to adjust anything or delete any values. All tracks - no matter where they land in a playlist or on their own - sound perfect volume wise.

VP

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 02:10:10 pm »

Maybe I'm picky ... I ripped Handel's organ concertos from vinyl the other day, and they just sounded better on playback without the volume leveling. The recordings were made in an old 16th century church and there's just an incredible amount of dynamic "presence" that seemed to fade some track to track with leveling engaged. Had the same issues with Tomita, Fresh Aire, and Wagner ... all that high brow stuff. Not just a rocker anymore ... <G>

I'm thinking it might work better for that sort of music if I set it to average the album vs the individual tracks. Have to give that a go. If I understand it correctly, that would apply the same replay gain to all the tracks in the playlist, which I assUme would be all the tracks in the album if that's what I've selected for play?

I'm ripping some Gershwin now ... should make for a good test of the theory.

* 30k files ...   :o ... you're a bit ahead of me ...

Pages: [1]   Go Up