INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 17 has stopped working  (Read 5136 times)

jmhays

• Recent member
Media Center 17 has stopped working
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:53:23 pm »

That is the error that I have been receiving when trying to point MC to my network storage device that contains my Apple Lossless music files.  I have 1TB of music files, there are 39,508 files in 3,951 folders and when I open MC, then click on "Drives & Devices", then "Explorer", then I click on the network drive that contains the music.  Then click on "Show Files In Subfolders".

I sit back and let MC crunch through all the files.... and then it fails and I receive the error listed above.  I am using the latest version of MC, 17.0.99 and have not installed any add ons

I am attaching the latest log file, this log is from when I started MC AFTER it had crashed.  The log file with the error on it (the log previous to the one attached) is huge, 29,759 KB.  Compressed it is 2,234 KB.  Any idea how I can post it somewhere so it can be viewed?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Media Center 17 has stopped working
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 12:02:03 am »

Ouch, not a good start.

Explorer is for minor browsing and uses the Windows file system (MC probably consumed a lot of memory so Windows started thrashing).

Instead, you want to import into MC's database.  Use Auto-Import (Tools > Import... > Configure Auto-Import, or > Import a single folder).

Once imported, MC browsing will be very fast.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jmhays

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 12:05:48 am »

Thanks, it could very well be that I am not using it correctly.  Obviously with the large number of files, I have a number of duplicates.  Before I import all the music into MC, I was planning on browsing through all the files and then deleting all the duplicates.

Should I instead import all the music and then do my search?

jmhays

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 12:48:31 am »

OK, so I deleted all the files in my original library and then tried the "Import a single folder" option and MC crashed again on me.  This time the log file is 39,680 KB in size.

Also, when I look at my music library, over 90% of the files are listed as missing (the little red "X" on the far left side of the file listing.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 01:01:45 am »

Hold tight - probably one of the developers will respond in the morning.  A crash is not typical.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

javidan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:07:57 am »

Yeah that is rare.

A lot of high level audiophiles use J River for audio quality but for me J River's reliability is the single biggest reason why I moved to it. I actually preferred several other interface benefits from Windows' default media manager but that was totally pointless when it keeps crashing and the DB getting corrupt every other day.

I do hope that your problem gets solved.

BTW, I have 32k files myself and while it's not as big as yours J River has been the only app which could handle them comfortably.

If I were you though, I would start importing folders separately to see if I can get section by section into the DB. (e.g. import 1000 folders instead of all 4000)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 10:12:40 am »

After a crash and restart of Media Center, we need to see the previous log.  It should contain the word 'crashing'.

Please email that crash log to logs at jriver dot com.

There's probably a single bad file causing problems.  Once we figure out what it is, we'll get the crash fixed.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmhays

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 08:36:33 pm »

Matt,
I just e-mailed the last four logs that were created as requested.  I hope this helps.

Joe

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 09:50:34 pm »

Thanks!

Could you send me this file:
X:\Music\Apple Lossless\Whitney Houston\The Greatest Hits, Disc 1\05 If You Say My Eyes Are Beautiful.m4a

Split it into pieces (using WinRAR, 7zip, etc.) if it's too large for your outgoing email.  Logs at jriver should be able to accept any size attachment.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 07:55:57 am »

It'd be great to get this fixed, but I need your help.

Thanks.

jmhays

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 08:13:37 am »

Sorry, I did not see that first post.  I will send you the file today when I get home from work.

Joe

jmhays

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 09:28:27 pm »

Matt,
I sent you a link to the file, I placed it in my shared DropBox account so you can pick it up.

Joe

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 09:25:53 am »

Thanks for the file.  Unfortunately it doesn't cause any problems for me despite it being the file being analyzed when it crashed in one of your logs.

We are failing to parse the date format it uses: '2000 04 18'.  I'll get that fixed in a coming build.

I also saw this file fail to parse right before a crash.  I wonder if you might provide a copy:
X:\Music\Apple Lossless\1001 Greatest 1990's music hit singles\Metallica - Nothing Else Matters.m4a

Finally, it would be good if you updated to the latest version from the top of this board.  Then, if you still get a crash importing M4A files, send that log my way.

Thanks for your help.

jmhays

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 09:34:44 am »

Matt,
Will do!  I will post the file when I get home tonight.  I will also upgrade to the latest version and then try my import again to see what happens.

Joe

jmhays

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 10:07:46 pm »

Matt,
I just added the file to my Drop Box, let me know if you find anything with that one.

Joe

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 01:59:08 pm »

I tested Nothing Else Matters, and it imports and plays fine for me as well.

I'm stumped.

Are you having any better luck with 17.0.117?

What happens if you import in small batches, and restart between batches?

Thanks.

jmhays

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 03:32:36 pm »

Matt,
I have not had any issues with the latest version BUT I am only importing some of the files at one time.  So this is not a true "apples to apples" test, but it does show that I am not having any issues so far...
Pages: [1]   Go Up