INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC + WD Live Plus + Subtitled VOB or MKV = Great Picture/Audio but No Subtitles  (Read 1522 times)

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen

I'm about ready to pull my hair out over this one.

I'm trying to use MC 17.0.117 to stream to my WD Live Plus HD (most recent firmware:  1.06.16), and though I'm having no problem with DVD VOB files or MKV containers with either AVC video (for Blu-ray rips) or MPEG2 without subtitles, I cannot get the subtitles to show up as an option on the WD TV Live Plus.  I had initially tried with a PAL DVD ripped as VOB, and though I could (and can) access the subtitles by right-clicking while playing through MC on my HP laptop, when it goes to the WD TV Live, I can't do anything:  no subtitles show up on their own (even with the subtitles "On" in the Video settings on the WD client), nor can I change to them when I hit "Options" on the remote (it says "No Subtitle").  I've tried just about every combination of settings in MC (see my screen shots attached below for current ones), even transcoding to MPEG2, which was suggested on one of the threads (though I don't want to have all my HD video down-converted to MPEG2, so I wouldn't want to set it to always convert) .  Now I can get subtitles to work by using WD Live's Network Shares, but then of course I lose all the organizational power of MC, which I need because I have a huge DVD collection I want to rip (3-4,000 titles at least, maybe more), and over 50% of them are foreign films. 

Incidentally, I don't have this problem with the one blu-ray I ripped using Pavtube Bytecopy, a program which actually has special WD TV Live Plus settings (including embedded Vobsub subtitles in the MKV container) specially made for blu-ray; but I'm having no luck with regular DVDs, either PAL or NTSC (tried the latter that just in case it made a difference).   

I did find this on the WD Live site: 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5461/p/208,333/session/L3RpbWUvMTMzMzE5ODA5OC9zaWQvS1ZBNS1zVWs%3D

but I think when converting to MKV, at least when using Pavtube, that the subtitles are "embedded in the file?" There's a screenshot below of the MediaInfo for the PAL disc mentioned above (after converting it to an MKV container). 

At any rate, I suspect there's something simple I'm not doing, but after searching forum after forum the past couple of weeks, I'm stuck.  Any ideas out there? 

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

The WD doesn't support separate subtitles. Since they have to be burned in, if the original doesn't have subs, you need to transcode to mpeg2/dvd in MC.

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen

Thanks for the response. 

What about blu-ray rips though? Do I have to downconvert them to mpeg2 just to get subtitles to play, if I want everything to work in MC? Obviously, I don't want to lose blu-ray video quality.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

Thanks for the response. 

What about blu-ray rips though? Do I have to downconvert them to mpeg2 just to get subtitles to play, if I want everything to work in MC? Obviously, I don't want to lose blu-ray video quality.

We don't currently have a hi-def transcode format but we are looking at adding a preset. We'll need to figure out what is the most likely supported format across multiple devices...

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen

Thanks again.  I'll keep on the lookout . . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up