INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for nice mini-plug to RCA cables  (Read 3606 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Looking for nice mini-plug to RCA cables
« on: March 31, 2012, 08:07:06 pm »

Currently I'm using these cables to connect my computer to a power amplifier:
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-AUD-1205-06-6-Feet-Series/dp/B001C53NJM

I need about 6ft to 8ft cables for a comfortable run.

I'm wondering if there is anything meatier I could get at a reasonable price. 

I once had a hum on my center speaker because one of the cables above had crossed a power line.  Better cable management solved the problem, but ever since I've had it in my head to find better cables.

Another approach would be to just use little y-cables like this:
http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Female-Splitter-Cable-inches/dp/B0016LC5VY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1333242089&sr=8-9

And then hook nice RCA cables to the y-cables.

Thanks for any advice.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DarkPenguin

Re: Looking for nice mini-plug to RCA cables
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:51:20 pm »

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=13#PREMIUM%203.5mm%20to%20RCA%20%28Left/Right%29%20Audio%20Cables

These guys are out of Eden Prairie.  You can order and then pick them up.  Of course from downtown in a vette it might be cheaper to overnight them.

As an aside I think Sullinger (spell?) is going to be an NBA bust.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 03:23:58 pm »

Dayton Audio has some 9' cables at Parts Express. I have Canare 3.5 mini connectors and Homegrown Audio RCA connectors if you want to make your own. I was going to make my own, but my equipment and gear locations kept changing and I never knew what length I was going to need. Now I have balanced TRS to XLR cables.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 12:57:11 pm »

I got some of the ones linked above, that look like this:

They're nice, but the mini-plug ends are much too big for use with an 8-channel soundcard.  You can only plug in a cable about every other slot!

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 01:41:02 pm »

I hate it when the cable ends are too wide for soundcards. The Radio Shack cables fit fine. I've also got a set of AR Pro II Camcorder cables for my X-Fi Elite. Instead of just stereo, the cable is used for three channels which is needed when using 7.1 on the card. I bought mine on Amazon and I don't think I paid as much as what is listed in the site I linked to. There should be a stereo version available.

Most stores that carry electronics now carry these cables for iPod use. For example, here is a Belkin 7' cable at Wal-mart. It looks like several would fit in a soundcard.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 07:17:19 pm »

I got some of the ones linked above, that look like this:

They're nice, but the mini-plug ends are much too big for use with an 8-channel soundcard.  You can only plug in a cable about every other slot!

Are those these?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002K8A75I/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_g147_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=15R7GAG0T2NPEV8G6SNF&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

I just bought the mono price mini rca extender that is heavy duty enough to hang yourself with.  Looks a lot like the above.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 12:49:01 am »

Archimedianite

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 09:42:13 pm »

This doesn't directly address what you asked but, having made a long cable run in my basement to the rear amp for rear channels in a home theater, I found that those round ferrite magnets work pretty good. I put them anywhere I crossed power lines (always cross at 90 degrees if possible), and at the ends of the cable.

Now I can't tell if they are turned on or off if there isn't something playing through them. I did have a small audible hum if I put my ear to the driver before the magnets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up