INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio View - Multiple artists grouping problem  (Read 1565 times)

audioriver

• Citizen of the Universe
Audio View - Multiple artists grouping problem
« on: April 01, 2012, 10:19:33 am »

I am trying out grouping (and its nice large thumbnails) and have this problem: A multiple artists cd, with a single track (no.4) having an extra 'Album Artist' entry. This guy arranged the primary's artists' composition, so it makes sense to put him in the album artist field.
In album grouping, this track gets separated from all others and gets it own entry. Is there a way to ignore the album artist field and have track 4 appear normally in sequence with others? I tried "Group by>more (sort groups a-z)>Album", and while it's not separated anymore, it goes at the end of this album's list (tracks 2,3,5,6... 4).
Windows 10 Pro x64

audioriver

Re: Audio View - Multiple artists grouping problem
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 02:43:42 pm »

Another problem I'm facing with this, is in the Missing Cover Art smartlist. When I select and "Quick Find in File / Cover Art Directory" the tracks of this (and similar) album, the correct .jpg file I put in the Cover Art Directory ("(Multiple Artists) - Album.jpg") will apply to all tracks, except track 4. MC somehow considers it to belong to another album, "Album Artist-Album" instead of "Artist-Album".
Windows 10 Pro x64

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 02:46:31 pm »

Flip-flop Artist / Album Artist.  Think of Artist as Track Artist, and Album Artist is used as a single value to override a variety of track artists.  If you set Album Artist, it should be the exact same value for all tracks in an album.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

audioriver

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 02:51:14 pm »

Thanks. The problem is that my entire library is based on the convention that 'Artist' is the main tag - there's no 'Album Artist' in most albums. Do you suggest to invert these 2 tags, in all albums they co-exist? Knowing the power of MC, it should probably be easy to do.
Windows 10 Pro x64

MrC

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 03:12:05 pm »

Yes, test it with one so you can ease your way into MC.

Select the tracks for a single album.  Right-click, Library Tools > Move & Copy Fields, and use the Flip-Flop mode.

audioriver

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 06:06:17 am »

I tried it, but the Cover Art problem is still there. The only solution I could think to 'unify' this track with the others, was to move 'Album Artist' info to 'Comment'. It seems there's some confusion when both Artist and A.A. are used, I'll have to read more here, before I change the whole library.
I'm also hesitant to use Album Artist as the main tag, it seems most applications and devices use Artist to mainly get info, and even ignore Album Artist in some cases.
Windows 10 Pro x64

audioriver

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 05:32:40 am »

Is there a way for MC to only display files that have the exact same 'Artist' and 'Album Artist' tag? I tried with IsEqual() from the Wiki but couldn't figure it out.
Windows 10 Pro x64

MrC

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 05:40:22 am »

Sure, several ways.  You can enter this into the Search box to search for them in the view:

[=IsEqual([Artist], [Album Artist])]=1

audioriver

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 05:51:13 am »

Thanks a lot, I copied directly from the Wiki and used isequal([Artist],[Album Artist],1) which is obviously incorrect.
Windows 10 Pro x64

MrC

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 10:48:20 am »

The version you used was mode 1: case-insensitive string compare for equality.  I used the default 0 mode, for case-sensitivity, but also wrapped it into the syntax required to entire it directly into the Search box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up