INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: format options in release date column  (Read 1640 times)

danlollar

format options in release date column
« on: April 02, 2012, 12:13:07 am »

I’ll try to not be too wordy here and get to the point but my inquiry is an unusual one because it has nothing to do with what MC is known for. “The Audiophiles Choice”

After 30 years as a radio programmer I still have over 4000 CDs, even after 3 divorces. :o
Two years ago I decided to rip them all as .wav to hdd. :D
During the two years I learned important lessons about the popular (free) ripping software as well as playback software. >:(
My quest finally led me to JRiver for listening enjoyment and dBpoweramp for ripping. ;D
dBpoweramp allows me to edit the metadata as I wish and store the artwork I choose in the data.
JRiver is the ONLY program I found that reads *nearly* everything as I edited it and doesn’t change artwork without my permission. ;D

Now on to whats tripping my O.C.D. :-\

As I stated I have 30 years in radio.
When I rip a CD I leave the album intact and the usual metadata. BUT...

I then rip the singles as a totally independent track with 45 sleeve artwork or a photo of the 45rpm itself.
I then add the date the song peaked on it’s respective chart instead of the albums release date.

My problem is getting JRiver to show the entire date format rather than only the year.
It’s a small issue since I usually enjoy the visualizations while I listen but I really enjoy sorting by date and listening in a real historical manner.
Not just yearly.
Especially since I’ve gone to this extreme detail and I did get to enjoy the feature briefly when I tried iTunes.
I’ve tried both Month/Day/Year and Year/Month/Day but still only see the year in the sort columns.

I can’t find anything about changing this.
Is this a current option? Or am I going to have to build a really big playlist one day?  :'(

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: format options in release date column
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:31:22 am »

The [Date] field handles full date/time info.  Is this the field you're using?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

neap212

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 06:06:19 pm »

I don't know the answer but I have a similar issue.  I want to be able to create smartlists in which the year the song was released is included as a criteria for selection.  For songs from most albums this is not a problem, but for greatest hits albums, there is a problem because when I change the data of individual songs within the same greatest hits album, I end up with multiple folders for songs from the same greatest hits albums. This is because the rules I have set up for folder creation are based on [Artist] [Album] [Year].  Anyone know a way around this?

Thanks.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 11:07:23 pm »

You'll want to use a rule that places Multiple Artists albums in a unique folder structure, one that doesn't rely on year.

When artists vary across an album, MC will set the Album Artist (auto) field to "(Multiple Artists)", unless Album Artist is set, in which case it will use that value.  So, for compilation albums which you want under a single name, set Album Artist.  For compilation albums that really don't have any single or primary artist, you can use a folder of your choice.  Most folks find it easiest to just use the folder "(Multiple Artists)", since MC already sets that value.  A rule such as:

[Album Artist (auto)] [Album]ifelse(!isequal([Album Artist (auto)], /(Multiple Artists/)), / [Year])

Of course you can structure the output of the expression so suit your folder requirements.

The opinions I express represent my own folly.

221bBS

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 07:28:48 am »

You can store the album released date in the date field and the original release date in a custom field, maybe "Date: Released". Then you can use an expression when you want to sort by year.

If(IsEmpty([Date: Released]),[Year],FormatDate([Date: Released,0],Year))

I do something similar to organize my music, but mine is a bit more complicated :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up