INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Server and pc wake up issues  (Read 1433 times)

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
Library Server and pc wake up issues
« on: April 11, 2012, 09:01:54 am »

Hi All

I'm relatively new to MC but am trying to set up a network of PC's My set up is as follows

Main PC in Living room with 2 HDD with movies installed. I have set this up as my library server. 
PC in the bedroom with hard drives and movies
PC in the bedroom.
I have mapped the drives using the media import wizard pointing to the relevant pc's for example :-

\\htpc\d\bluraymovies
\\bedroompc\d\bluraymovies
\\officepc\d\bluraymovies

JRiver works wonderfully i can play all media on the relevant pc's apart from one thing...

My problem is whatever i seem to do i cannot for the life of me get each pc to WOL. I have tried loads of different settings so in order for me to watch a movie say for example on the main library i have to manually wake it.

Can any give a newbie on setting this up?  Or can it not be done?  I have read about port forwarding but i am not sure what i need to do for a home network.. i just assumed that if the 3 main PC's are all connected and run the main library it would work.

Any ideas?

cheers

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Library Server and pc wake up issues
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:08:44 am »

Make sure your computer is configured to allow wake on LAN.  It's in Device Manager > Network Card > Power.

Also, make sure you are connecting using an Access Key.

Then, when a client connects to the server it should wake it up.  Even if you connect with your Android phone and Gizmo it should wake the server up.

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:09:01 am »

The wiki has a topic on WOL.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 12:19:09 pm »

I have read through the Wiki and to no avail. Also i can wake all my machines using Windows MCE (using an app that fires a magic packet) so its something weird with how i have set up JRiver....

Like i said its is a bit strange

Update....... Found the solution

Open "Turn Windows features on or off" over on the sidebar. Scroll down and check "Simple TCPIP services" then click OK to install the service

Then

Open "Services" from the "Administrative Tools" control panels or use the link in the zip. Scroll down to the service for which we just installed the feature. Make sure the service is started by clicking the link in the sidebar. Also ensure that the "Startup Type" is set to "Automatic" so that it will run with Windows.

This fixed my issue now all pcs on my network wake us as and when they should
Pages: [1]   Go Up