INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tearing artifact when video scenes change  (Read 2169 times)

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
Tearing artifact when video scenes change
« on: April 02, 2012, 06:45:06 am »

Hi

I have been noticing a strange tearing effect at the bottom of the screen when watching Contagion, it only happens when the scene changes and appears as a lag in the scene change which has the effect of a slight flash. Also noticed that from time to time the bottom sixth of the picture in the same location was slightly offset from the rest, akin to a tear. Blu ray disc iso, RO HQ, i7 pc, hdmi to HDTV, most recent stable MC, 24p playback.

Any pointers?
Cheers
Z

DangerJP

• World Citizen
Re: Tearing artifact when video scenes change
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:56:43 am »

Also noticed that from time to time the bottom sixth of the picture in the same location was slightly offset from the rest, akin to a tear.

Exact same problem here. So frustrating !
Altough this happens with any media player (VLC, WMP, etc.), so I think MC is not the issue in my case.

Tried different solutions to fix the problem without any succes yet.

Set up: .mkv file --ญญญ i7 PC with Radeon HD 6670 -- 3 HDMI cables + interconnects -- SAMSUNG UND556300 HDTV.

I connected my PC monitor at the end of the HDMI cables and the video playback was flawless. Weird. Maybe my HDTV is the issue.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:10:01 am »

If any of you have logmein installed, one of the graphics drivers it installs shows as a video card. Disabling this device often fixes tearing problems, but doesn't interfere with the running of logmein.
Also, the first and obvious answer is to make sure your graphics drivers - Ati, Intel, nVidia - are up to date.

DangerJP

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:19:12 am »

There is no LogMeIn on my PC.

My ATI drivers are up to date. Not sure about the Intel ones, though. Will definitely check this out.

Thanks for the suggestion !

Z0001

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 05:29:52 pm »

No logmein, but I do have Splashtop and RealVNC, could there be problems there? AMD HD6870 drivers up to date a end 2011, so will look at those, no on-board graphics.

TMT5 works perfectly without this tearing.

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 02:48:35 pm »

Which Operating System do you use? Win 7 or Win XP?

In another forum I read that a change from Win XP to Win 7 solved the tearing problem through the AERO function of Win 7.

DangerJP

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 03:09:51 pm »

I've found a workaround to my problem.

In my case, it seems that the issue is caused by the use of two monitors:
PC Samsung SyncMaster (DVI) and Samsung HDTV (HDMI).

In the Catalyst Control Center (or whatever name AMD is using now), I simply selected  ''Make prefered'' for my HDTV which completely eliminated the tearing artifacts on the HDTV. Video playback is now super smooth in MC !

On the other hand, these artifacts are now showing up on my desktop monitor. It doesn't bother me too much since I watch most of my videos on HDTV. I can still switch for ''Make prefered -- PC monitor'' if I want a clean display on PC monitor.

Not an elegant solution but it works for now !

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 03:22:11 pm »

Fine, it works as workaround.

There I will come from Win XP for my first steps with JRiver I am interested in the question whether Win XP is suitable for JRiver according to ROHQ.
Pages: [1]   Go Up