INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analog Output on ASRock A75M  (Read 3567 times)

Van G

• Recent member
Analog Output on ASRock A75M
« on: April 02, 2012, 04:02:23 pm »

I need to supply an analog source to a Denon 3312ci so I can play music from my HTPC into zones 2 and 3.

Board being used is ASRock A75M.
I haven't got JRiver running yet but I'll want to make the best of my setup. Sources are lossless CD rips.

What are my best options (sonically):
M-Audio 2496
USB DAC
Another?

Van G

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Analog Output on ASRock A75M
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:11:19 pm »

The analog quality from any good device is exceptional.  I wouldn't split hairs unless you're building a critical listening environment.

If you're hooking to a high gain device like a power amplifier, the SNR become a little more important.  If you're going that route, let me know and I have a little more advice.

If you're just looking for a cheap and easy way to add zones, this might help:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71218.0
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Van G

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 05:15:58 pm »

I wouldn't call it critical listening but I am trying to the best out of the system which is decent equipment.

Given that I'm using the Denon 3312ci to control everything (power to all channels comes from UPA-7) I assume that I'm just trying to get the best possible signal to the Denon before it's DAC's

The Denon won't output digital inputs to Zones 2&3 if something different (or nothing at all) is being played on main zone. HTPC running JRiver will be connected via HDMI and some analog connection so movie can be played in main zone while music is listened to in either/both Zones 2&3.

Once I get JRiver running I will try DNLA but I believe that has limitations on zone playback with the Denon as well since it is a digital source.

In addition, I don't how I'll configure JRiver in terms of upsampling but my goal is pretty clear - get the sweetest sound out of what I have.

My analog connections will come from either a sound card (M-Audio 2496 = $55) or an USB DAC (HRT Streamer = $129). [Feel free to point in the direction of more appropriate hardware.]

So, that's as far as my knowledge extends.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 05:53:59 pm »

I use a UPA-7 at home.

You might consider bypassing the Denon, at least for the analog Zone 2 & 3 you're talking about.

I've had good luck with an X-Fi Titanium Fata1ty with my UPA-7.  It has quieter outputs and less D/C pop on startup than my M-Audio 2496.  Many of the USB DACs are really great, although I personally need more than the two analog channels most of them provide.

Van G

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 07:38:56 pm »

Interesting! When you refer to pop by the 2496, was that on system boot or upon stating playback?

I'l be interested in either a USB DAC or Sound Card directly to AMP if I had the confidence that controlling the HTPC/JRiver was stable and near flawless for control (volume, zones), library browsing, and playback control. This will be done with either an iPad or iPhone and I know JRiver is focused on Android for now so my fate lies in 3rd party developers.

The multi zone playback direct to AMP is pretty interesting when I have to look at my backyard which has two stereo zones outside and my garage which is 2.0 for now but may expand to 5.1 :)

So with the X-Fi Titanium Fata1ty you mentioned, you are running one of those per stereo zone or dividing up the zones? Quick glance at Amazon it doesn't appear to analog outputs.

Digging around I read through a thread here (same topic) that one of the comments was: "itunes and airport express are the system to beat, but MC has better audio capabilities and also does video, so would be great to get some answers on their multi zone capabilities"
In terms of audio, was the poster referring to control? What's the AQ sacrifice?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:13:37 pm »

Interesting! When you refer to pop by the 2496, was that on system boot or upon stating playback?

D/C pop is a big problem with a lot of hardware when used with a power amp.  It only hits when you reboot or resume from standby, but when it happens, it can be really loud.

Reviews don't normally discuss the issue.

I'l be interested in either a USB DAC or Sound Card directly to AMP if I had the confidence that controlling the HTPC/JRiver was stable and near flawless for control (volume, zones), library browsing, and playback control.

I like the model where a computer does all the audio processing and hardware just does DAC and power.

JRiver is the leader in this space in my opinion, and I hope we keep improving our position.

So with the X-Fi Titanium Fata1ty you mentioned, you are running one of those per stereo zone or dividing up the zones? Quick glance at Amazon it doesn't appear to analog outpu
ts.

I'm analog out directly to the UPA-7, using 7 of the 8 analog outputs.  I only use it for a single zone (home theater).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 08:19:51 pm »

This thread from when I first started thinking about this (I was many years behind a lot of our users) might be helpful:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55607.0

Van G

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 10:37:51 pm »

What do you for room correction in your HT?

Going to move forward by getting system built and setup so I can get to know ins and outs of JRiver.

Try DNLA to the Denon and build from there.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 10:55:16 pm »

DSP Studio > Room Correction offers basic room correction and bass management.

If you want more sophisticated processing, there are a lot of amazing possibilities.  You might start here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68828.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up