INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will JRiver satisfy a XBMC user ?  (Read 17441 times)

mika91

Will JRiver satisfy a XBMC user ?
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:57:11 am »

Hi,

I'm using XBMC since 2 years and I'm quite happy with it, because it's very WAF and has a lot of usefull featues.
I use DsPlayer version to get ffdshow filters, and improve my video-projector quality.

I want to give JRiver a try, because of MadVR renderer and Lav/ffdshow native filters and it's the best audio player available !
Can you tell me if the following features work in JRiver:

1) Auto Framerate Adjust (without the need to tag all video files with correct refresh rate)
2) Movie/TV show scrapper
3) Auto load subtitle (that have the same name as video file)
4) Download subtitle while running movie/tv show
5) Saga view (all movies displayed as once: ex Jurassic Park I, II and III)

JRiver will be used in Theatre View.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Will JRiver satisfy a XBMC user ?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 10:30:58 am »

Welcome.
You can right click any video and use Get Movie & TV Info.  Selecting multiple files is also possible.  It will also happen automatically on import if you allow it.  Metadata comes from 3 sources.

Subtitles should all work.  If not, let us know. 

I don't know about "Saga View". 

Some framerates will be picked up automatically, but maybe not all.

We'd love to have a few more XBMC users, so stick around and help us add features they would expect.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 12:39:44 pm »

Saga view works - but you have to set it up manually. Here's how I do it: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69748.0

PS. the method I describe in my earlier post (link above) works - but I have improved on it, so if this is what you're looking for, I can provide addtional details on how to get there.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 01:31:55 pm »

I am in the middle of trying to transition my video files from XBMC to MC.  (I've been using MC for 10+ years for music)
I love the ability to modify the view schemes like I've done for years on the music side of things.

A few nice things in XBMC that I noticed aren't in MC side: (yet)
1) XBMC will automatically play/uncompress a RAR'd movie file.
2) Has an option to use the directory name for the scraper - makes for much better hit rate on finding db info

The other thing I am struggling with is that I want MC to work differently depending on whether I am playing Music or Video.  Music is ALWAYS playing so I have a dedicated sound card for that and it is piped throughout the house.  When I doubleclick on a song I want it added to my playlist in Audio zone and when I doubleclick or select a movie I want to just play that movie IN THE VIDEO zone (b/c the music will continue to play in other parts of the house)

I tried switching off XBMC with v16 but quickly went back to XBMC.  with v17 though I think I am sticking with MC as my XBMC replacement for my vids as well.

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:41:48 pm »

Saga view works - but you have to set it up manually. Here's how I do it: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69748.0

PS. the method I describe in my earlier post (link above) works - but I have improved on it, so if this is what you're looking for, I can provide addtional details on how to get there.

Unfortunately, box set feature is lacking. Even the method above have holes like missing meta data in the expected views and extra steps to get the info you want.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 05:26:32 pm »

I think you will find JRiver MC a great alternative.  It takes more time to get it all setup just the way you like, but I think you have much more control to actually get it just the way you like.

As JimH said, they want to add value to the program, so if you have comments/feedback/requests they are usually pretty responsive.  In fact, now is a good time in the development cycle, as this is the time they usually stop making major changes/additions, and focus on the little things to refine before moving on to the next version.  v17 has been very focused on metadata and video, so I expect to see more energy focused here, which is where it sounds like you expect to use MC; how convenient  :D

Enjoy, and don't hesitate to ask for help :)
pretend this is something funny

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 03:09:36 am »

We'd love to have a few more XBMC users, so stick around and help us add features they would expect.

I am a long-term XBMC user who has just switched to JRiver MC and so far I am very impressed with its features. Even if there is still a lot to discover one thing is quite clear MC surpasses XBMC in some important respects. The two features that come to mind are tag editing within the program and the ability to scrape a film individually and being given lots of options to get the info right. MC has managed to tag quite a few of my films that XBMC never managed to get right (requiring manual tagging).

That is not to say that the transition has been painless. What would have made my life and that of other switchers a lot easier is if MC could have read the nfo files produced by XBMC on import and also if it would give us the option to use the posters and fan art already present on the disk instead of scraping everything afresh. I have thousands of films and shows and ended up with many unfamiliar posters.

Finally, and I know this is already being discussed elsewhere but no reply by Jim or anyone else responsible for JRiver has been forthcoming, I sorely miss an easy button to mark a film or show as watched (or unwatched). However, if JRiver would have been able to read nfo files on import this info would at least have been taken from the nfo files.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 06:52:32 am »

Thank you for the feedback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up