INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stream Desktop  (Read 2635 times)

gordoncanada

• Recent member
Stream Desktop
« on: February 17, 2012, 02:52:11 pm »

Hello,
 I have not used J River Media Center since version 12, but I have a question about it. I would load version 17 back onto my computer in a second if the program was able to somehow stream the computer desktop to my PS3. I want to be able to watch computer generated visualizations along with music on my t.v. downstairs. So far I haven't been able to figure out any way to do this. I know J River has a DNS server built into the program, but can it stream the desktop?

Thanks, gordoncanada

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Stream Desktop
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 03:06:12 pm »

No, it can't. And it never will. Sony would probably not allow it. And why should this be done? There are other remote desktop software out there already. I think you would have much better success asking Sony to implement visuals on music playback on the PS3 :)

*EDIT*
Disregard that. It seems you actually might be able to do this :o
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 07:09:30 pm »

Can the PS3 connect to a RTMP or RTSP video stream?

There are lots of ways to capture the desktop and stream it out as video.  All you'd have to do is set your desktop resolution to 1080p, and stream out a nice 2mbps H264 RTMP stream.  You'd need a fairly modern computer, but you could do that simply enough.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 07:24:23 pm »

Hah! I never imagined. It looks like PS3 might actually be able to play RTMP or RTSP streams.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

N0z1f

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Woo Hoo...
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 12:46:57 pm »

Did you get anywhere with this?
I am looking for a way to stream the Theatre view to my TV as my HP Touchsmart has no video output.
I can stream movies and music to the PS3 using Media Center as a media server no problem but the PS3 interface is not great.
I can also control my HP Touchsmart with a remote but cannot see the screen when I am in front of the TV.

gordoncanada

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 01:09:53 am »

Hello,
 I'm not advanced enough to try the videolan method, and not rich enough to purchase the four hundred dollar program suggested. But someone has mentioned there are "lots of ways" and it should be "easy." I wish it would be possible to get easy step by step instructions on how to do it. I found a program called "Displayshare" that works perfectly, but the authors of the program have disappeared and there is no way to purchase or register the program. It stops working after thirty days.
So can anyone provide instructions on how to steam the desktop? I would love to stream Media Center playing music with visualizations.
People have been lobbying Sony for years but they won't add more visualizations to the PS3. They also make it prohibitively expensive for developers to provide them.
Thanks, Gordoncanada

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:34:09 pm »

You might want to actually try the VLC method.  I've done it.  It isn't that hard.

But, for the record, I said it should be "simple enough".  I didn't say "free".  If you want cheap, then VLC is the best method, but you are trading cost for complexity, as usual.

There's nothing free in this world.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

gordoncanada

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 07:15:47 pm »

I don't mind paying for things. It would cost around a hundred dollars to purchase a gizmo that could stream the desktop, so that's about the highest ceiling. But so far, I haven't seen a simple option short of buying another gizmo. I can't figure out the VLC  method.
Thanks, gordoncanada

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 07:50:15 pm »

Is this also possible to output to the Xbox 360?
Pages: [1]   Go Up