INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mp4 playback issues, Red October Std on Mac Mini, works with HD [Solved]  (Read 1795 times)

AnalogRoaming

• Junior Woodchuck

HI. Been a happy customer since MC10. Bought almost every version, and this is the first time I've ever had somewhat of a showstopper problem.

When I play back an mp4 video file, the audio plays fine but the color is...strange. It's as if there's a black and white video playing underneath a color one, and the color is not overlaid properly - it's shifted up, so I see two video images.

I have MC17 installed on 3 machines, and it only does it on the Mac Mini (2010 model) with an NVidia crd. I'd read about some problems with NVidia and ffdshow before and  discovered that there are no configuration settings for that with what MC17 downloads.

I can probably get around the problem using the HD renderer, but I don't think this machine is going to be able to handle that long-term.

Does anyone here have suggestions for me to try to sort this out? I did try removing the plugins so MC would redownload the codecs but I don't know if I got them all. Is it possible I just got a bad codec download since when switching over to the Red October HD renderer (which downloaded new decoders) works fine?

Me fail english? That's unpossible!

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: mp4 playback issues with Red October default, works fine with HD
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 04:59:13 pm »

I'm not seeing this problem on my system. I'll do some more testing. I just rip movies to Mp4 for playback on my Android -so I don't play many on the HTPC, but they seem to play fine on my JRiver HTPC when I test my rips.

Did you know that you can setup the Video Mode>Advanced>Custom so that the mp4 file can play with a different renderer. Perhaps use MadVR instead of EVR for only Mp4 when in RO-Standard. I would also suggest that you reinstall MC just in case soemthing installed wrong (as you mentioned in your post) - since this is easy to do.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 05:33:44 pm »

switching over to the Red October HD renderer (which downloaded new decoders) works fine?
Do you mean Red October HQ?

Make sure you have the latest.  It's 17.0.122.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 06:19:58 pm »

AR,
I just played a bunch of mp4s using RO Standard and RO HQ, I see no issues either way. I have the nVidia card (440 and 450) on two machines and one has the 9400 gpu on-board.

I know this doesn't help you, but I think I can safely say the problem is not a bug in MC. Something on your machine is acting up.
Did you try installing the latest nVidia drivers?

What are your machine (mac-mini) specs and which nVidia gpu does it use? Do you have hardware acceleration on?

AnalogRoaming

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 09:45:29 am »

Wow, thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. Lots to think about.

@JimH:

Do you mean Red October HQ?

Yes, I mean HQ. I am running the latest version on all three machines, only having trouble on the mac mini and only with the standard renderer.

@CountryBumkin:
Did you know that you can setup the Video Mode>Advanced>Custom so that the mp4 file can play with a different renderer. Perhaps use MadVR instead of EVR for only Mp4 when in RO-Standard. I would also suggest that you reinstall MC just in case soemthing installed wrong (as you mentioned in your post) - since this is easy to do.

I did not, and that's very cool to know - that's a decent short-term solution.

Did you try installing the latest nVidia drivers?

I'm not sure where to get them for the mac mini - seen reports that the standard nvidia ones don't work, and before I make the wife angry by taking out her media machine, I wanted to try low-hanging fruit first  :)

What are your machine (mac-mini) specs and which nVidia gpu does it use?

It's the 9400 on-board card. This is the mac mini that doesn't have the HDMI out.

Do you have hardware acceleration on?

If you mean within MC, no I do not. Turning it on makes the video even worse - it's all garbled and "swirly" almost like when the digital cable box screws up :)

Reinstalling MC hasn't helped.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 02:06:28 pm »

I'm not sure where to get them for the mac mini - seen reports that the standard nvidia ones don't work, and before I make the wife angry by taking out her media machine, I wanted to try low-hanging fruit first  :)

It's the 9400 on-board card. This is the mac mini that doesn't have the HDMI out.

I have the on-board 9400 on my Gigabyte MB (probably not the same GPU as yours) - but you may want to try the nVidia website, they have a program that scans your computer and determins if your system has an older driver and offers the latest driver for download if there is one.  I would create a restore point or do a system image prior to the driver upgrade, just in case. Does the Mac-Mini run Win7?

AnalogRoaming

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 12:42:21 am »

Alrighty.

First thanks to everyone who threw in suggestions.

After updating the video drivers on the mac mini *and* grabbing the absolute latest copy as of today, the video problems are resolved!!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 04:31:39 am »

Please post your system info from Help > System Info... and the DirectShow graph during "Red October Standard" playback (right-click the display during playback to access the "DirectShow Filters > Copy graph info to clipboard" menu item).

Perhaps these reports can reveal something.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up