INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I display the actual Replay Gain values not the -6 version MC uses?  (Read 2057 times)

jaynyc

• World Citizen

Hi.  Is there any way to make the ReplayGain column show the actual value, not the -6 value?

Alternatively, how would I create a custom column "RG" to display the true ReplayGain value?

thank you

--jay

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.

Use an expression column with the value:

ifelse(!isempty([Replay Gain]), FormatNumber(Math([Replay Gain,0] + 6),2) dB)
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jaynyc

• World Citizen

works, thank you.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

Could someone please explain what the difference is between those 2? (without being a smartypants saying its 6dB :P).

Isn't the built in collumn correct? Where does that 6 dB come from?

Thanks.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

MC uses the Replay Gain reference volume level of 83 dB. The original Replay Gain standard recommended 83 dB, which has been implemented in the JRiver programs since the early Media Jukebox 8 betas in late 2001. After that some other programs started to use the 89 dB reference volume level which eventually become the de facto standard and thus most current applications expect the reference volume level to be 89 dB. For your convenience MC writes and reads the file tag values using the 89 dB reference volume level (to make the file tags more compatible).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen

Why do you need to add 6 dB if MC write the tags using the 89 dB reference level?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

Thanks Alex.

Let's see if I get this ... MC uses 83 dB for replay gain but reads/writes tags using the 89 dB?

Then I'll have to repeat Hulkss, why add 6 dB if thats the case?

bwaldron

• World Citizen

Thanks Alex.

Let's see if I get this ... MC uses 83 dB for replay gain but reads/writes tags using the 89 dB?

Then I'll have to repeat Hulkss, why add 6 dB if thats the case?

Seems clear that the file tags are written that way for compatibility with other software/hardware that uses 'em, while internally, MC maintains its own system.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

The reason to use the 89 dB reference volume level instead 83 dB in some newer programs is that the 83 dB reference was found to be quite low when compared with the unadjusted (= RG off) volume level of modern rock/pop tracks that are mastered to be very compressed and as loud as possible.

You can set MC's Volume Leveling to use a +6 dB adjustment to make MC perform exactly like the players that use the 89 dB reference volume level.

Just keep in mind that the 89 dB reference volume level may be too high for efficiently adjusting tracks that have very wide dynamic range and relatively low average volume level. I.e you can't make some quiet tracks louder without causing clipping distortion because despite the low average volume level they also contain peaks that already reach the maximum possible level.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

Right, got it.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up