INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cover Art method "specified folder" is broken (was fine in MC16)  (Read 4250 times)

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen

After upgrade to MC17 from MC16 I can see that the method of finding Cover Arts in specified folder is not working at all (for all files e.g. audio, audio CD, DVD, Blu-ray).

I installed MC17, imported a backup of my MC16 library = all cover arts were shown correctly. Now if I remove cover art of any media and try "find cover art in specified folder" nothing happens (this always worked in MC16). Also if I try to "save cover art to specified folder" (from MP3 which contains image within itself), MC does not save anything to the specified folder (this also worked in MC16).

All in all MC for some reason ignores the specified folder like if it does not exist (I never had an issue in MC16 and I did not change any pattern).

Fabricio

• Citizen of the Universe
  • No one has patience with me.
Re: Cover Art method "specified folder" is broken (was fine in MC16)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 07:35:54 pm »

Long time MC 17 does not save anything to the specified folder (Cover art audio)

For video: cover art is saved in the same folder as the video.

Fabricio, from Brazil.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 08:55:00 pm »

As far as I know MC17 should still work the old way too e.g. having all cover art files in one specified folder.
Anyway I did try to put the files in separate subfolders too (/Videos, /Albums) and although it seems to work for audio files, it definitely does not work for my Blu-ray / DVD files; I would not want to use /Videos subfolder anyway because it seems that MC17 does not differentiate cover arts for blu-rays (Video - name.jpg) and DVDs (DVDVideo - name.jpg) which is a complete nonsense as the covers are usually very different!

I simply need MC17 to work the same way as MC16 did (and according to what I read here on forum / wiki, it should)

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:30:43 am »

bump

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 09:43:19 am »

Video sidecars (art, subtitles, tags, etc.) are stored next to videos.

More information here about cover art naming and locations:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Cover_Art
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 10:43:37 am »

Matt, thank you for the response.

I am confused. First of all do you mean that MC17 no longer supports (also) the old way e.g. having all cover arts for all media in one folder? I had the impression that MC17 support both the old one-folder way, but ALSO the folder/subfolders (Videos, Albums) way.

Now you say that cover art for video is stored next to video, however even the very wiki page you pointed to says this:

Inside the cover art folder, Media Center will attempt to use human readable naming. It will look like:
[Cover Art]\Videos\[Name].jpg

Nevertheless the issue I have described is not with "video" files (like video.avi, video.mkv) but with my Blu-ray discs (incl. ISO images) and DVD discs (incl. VIDEO_TS folders). In MC16 I simply put cover art images in my specified cover art folder (DVDVideo - name.jpg for DVDs, Video - name.jpg for Blu-rays) and it always worked. In MC17 no matter what I try I am unable to make it work.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 10:55:32 am »

I am confused. First of all do you mean that MC17 no longer supports (also) the old way e.g. having all cover arts for all media in one folder? I had the impression that MC17 support both the old one-folder way, but ALSO the folder/subfolders (Videos, Albums) way.

If you migrate an old library that uses the previous naming, it will work fine.

New video art will be saved as a sidecar.

Now you say that cover art for video is stored next to video, however even the very wiki page you pointed to says this:

Inside the cover art folder, Media Center will attempt to use human readable naming. It will look like:
[Cover Art]\Videos\[Name].jpg

From the wiki:

For video, cover art is always stored next to the file using the same filename as the video. For example, "Big Bang S01E11.mkv" will use "Big Bang S01E11.jpg" for cover art.
Sometimes a need arises to save cover art for a file that can not support artwork next to it. Imagine setting an image for a file on an optical disk. In these cases, the cover art is placed in the cover art folder.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 11:14:35 am »

If you migrate an old library that uses the previous naming, it will work fine.

Well it did not work for my audio files & CD audio discs; I had to move them manually to subfolder /Albums.

From the wiki:
For video, cover art is always stored next to the file using the same filename as the video. For example, "Big Bang S01E11.mkv" will use "Big Bang S01E11.jpg" for cover art.

Hm then what is the purposes of Cover Art/Videos subfolder anyway??

Sometimes a need arises to save cover art for a file that can not support artwork next to it. Imagine setting an image for a file on an optical disk. In these cases, the cover art is placed in the cover art folder.

Yes understood, and this is the issue I have! As I described I have all my cover arts for DVDs and Blu-rays in my cover art folder however MC17 dos not "see" them contrary to MC16.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 11:45:16 am »

When you move from MC 16 to MC 17, make sure you restore from a backup instead of importing fresh.

This happens automatically if you install MC 17 on a machine that has MC 16 installed.

If you import fresh, the cover art will have to conform to the new naming to be found.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 11:51:48 am »

When you move from MC 16 to MC 17, make sure you restore from a backup instead of importing fresh.

I did...

However you are still missing my main point - DVDs and Blu-rays. I even tried to add a new Blu-ray disc into database and it does not work neither. Is the naming scheme of cover art files for DVD / Blu-ray discs still the same as in MC16?

And again: what is the purpose of Cover Art/Videos subfolder?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 11:54:27 am »

However you are still missing my main point - DVDs and Blu-rays.

And again: what is the purpose of Cover Art/Videos subfolder?

The Cover Art\Videos folder is for files that don't support sidecars (optical disks, URLs, etc.).

The naming uses [Name].jpg inside that folder.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 12:21:13 pm »

So if I understand it correctly, cover art files for Blu-rays and DVDs need to be in Cover Art/Videos folder, right? And they need to be named like name.jpg, right? So for example if I have Blu-ray movie 2012 which is named "2012" in my Library and if I have specified folder for my cover arts in "M:/__J._River_Media/Cover arts", I need to have an image file like "M:/__J._River_Media/Cover arts/Videos/2012.jpg"?
Because this scenario does not work for me e.g. if I choose "Quick Find In File / Cover Art Directory" nothing happens.

How the Blu-ray covers can be distinguished from DVD covers anyway?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 12:23:20 pm »

Are you using an optical Blu-ray disk that's sitting in the drive, or a rip?

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 01:11:17 pm »

Hm what difference should it make? All the blu-ray movies are in my database already, right now there is no disc neither in my optical drive nor image loaded in my virtual drive (I use Virtual CloneDrive for ISOs). And I assume that MC cannot recognize whether I play physical optical disc or image via virtual drive.

I just did some testing and now it gets even more serious. I found out that if I mount any ISO image / load physical disc, MC does not recognize them (e.g. tag is empty) and adds it to the library as if it is a different movie!! I reported this in past however apparently no change has been made. Do I have to re-create all the items? Why MC17 does not recognize those?
And BTW the cover art issue stays even with the newly added items.
This is all wrong  :(

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 01:43:01 pm »

In a coming build:
Fixed: Cover art in the cover art folder was not being found for optical discs or ISOs.

Thanks for your help.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 02:19:20 pm »

Matt, thank you for your co-operation. I look forward to the next build, however I still wonder how should I distinguish blu-ray and DVD covers in this new naming scheme? I fear you no longer distinguish them which makes no sense at all. I have many movies both on DVD and Blu-ray and the covers are different (not only visually but also in size) so they need to be shown differently; for this the old naming scheme Video - name.jpg vs. DVDVideo - name.jpg worked perfectly fine...

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 04:52:45 am »

So I tried latest 17.0.132 and as promised the issue is fixed e.g. Cover art in the cover art folder is now being found for optical discs or ISOs.

Nevertheless I have to re-ask my (unanswered) question regarding cover arts for DVD vs. Blu-ray: why MC does not differentiate these anymore?? It does not make any sense (as I explained earlier).
Is there any way how can I make it work? (at least like in MC16)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 10:04:19 am »

I have many movies both on DVD and Blu-ray and the covers are different (not only visually but also in size) so they need to be shown differently

The only way I can think to do this would be to use slightly different names for the movies (ie. Avatar [DVD], Avatar [Blu-ray]).

Or to switch to a non-ISO approach so you can use sidecars.  I personally think this second approach is better, but I realize it's probably more change than you're hoping to make.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 10:39:47 am »

The only way I can think to do this would be to use slightly different names for the movies (ie. Avatar [DVD], Avatar [Blu-ray]).

Nevertheless this way the "Quick Find In File / Cover Art Directory" function would not work anyway as MC17 looks for name.jpg file (contrary to Video - name.jpg / DVDVideo - name.jpg) so I would have to link the covers manually, right?
So probably the easiest way would be to rename all covers to name.jpg and only differentiate those which I have both on Blu-ray and DVD.

Anyway I still wonder
1) why you removed this differentiation in a first place? (your recommendation for non-ISO approach gives a hint although it is no go for me)
2) am I really the only one who is bothered? (most probably & unfortunately yes)

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 07:15:16 am »

The issue "Cover art in the cover art folder for optical discs or ISOs" is still (partly) present as MC17 does not recognize filenames with underscore letter "_" (substitution for colon in name).

For example movie Batman Returns is named in library like "Batman (2): Batman Returns" thus the cover art file is named "Batman (2)_ Batman Returns.jpg" nevertheless MC17 ignores it e.g. "Quick Find In File / Cover Art Directory" does nothing. MC16 had no problem with this.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 11:59:16 am »

The issue "Cover art in the cover art folder for optical discs or ISOs" is still (partly) present as MC17 does not recognize filenames with underscore letter "_" (substitution for colon in name).

For example movie Batman Returns is named in library like "Batman (2): Batman Returns" thus the cover art file is named "Batman (2)_ Batman Returns.jpg" nevertheless MC17 ignores it e.g. "Quick Find In File / Cover Art Directory" does nothing. MC16 had no problem with this.

Maybe because of what I describe here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71202.msg480652#msg480652

Probably the Clean() function is being used - it converts to dash characters, not underbars like what Rename() uses.  This inconsistency could lead to the cover art detector missing this problem.  Clean() needs to be modified to allow clean-age in the same fashion as Rename does.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 12:08:27 pm »

Hm interesting, nevertheless for audio albums (cover arts placed in Albums subfolder) MC locates the files with underscore with no problem...

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 05:56:57 am »

bump

Issue with colon in name not fixed in 17.0.144

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 12:47:54 pm »

BUMP

Issue with colon in name still not fixed in latest 17.0.154  :(

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 01:09:17 pm »

Next build:
Fixed: When searching for cover art for optical discs in [Cover Art]\Videos\[Name].jpg, invalid characters weren't being replaced with underscores, causing cover art to not be found.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 02:22:04 pm »

Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up