INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Highest Quality Video From Ripped DVD's  (Read 3128 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Highest Quality Video From Ripped DVD's
« on: April 14, 2012, 03:08:05 pm »

I recall that a few months ago there were some posts about getting the best video playback from Ripped DVD's using ROHQ. I think it needed the DVD ripped to a MKV container and then some special magic in ROHQ could be applied to it using additional settings.

So my question is, is this still required, or does just normal ripping of DVD's by MC and then using ROHQ without any additional settings now give the highest quality video?

If additional settings are still required I would appreciate being directed to information on them. I presently have all our DVD's ripped to separate folders using MC.

Thanks,
Rod

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Highest Quality Video From Ripped DVD's
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 03:22:44 pm »

I'm very happy with the quality using MakeMKV and Handbrake with H.264 encoding.

I'm using Intel on chip graphics (i7 2600K).

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 03:28:07 pm »

I'm very happy with the quality using MakeMKV and Handbrake with H.264 encoding.

I'm using Intel on chip graphics (i7 2600K).

Thanks for the quick response. I have a fairly fast quad core AMD with Asus Ti550 Nvidea graphics card.

Some questions:

1. Do you use ROHQ without any Additional Settings?
2. If not what are you doing?
3. Any idea if I can do something with my already ripped DVDs to get them into MKV containers, or must I re-rip?

Thanks,
Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 04:22:23 pm »

I just found a MakeMKV forum post that explains how to get an already ripped DVD into a MKV file:

"When you start makemkv, there is an icon on the top left that allows you to "open file"

Find the directory with your ripped DVD, open the VIDEOTS folder and find the .IFO file. It should read the ripped disc, and you should then be able to write mkv's."

But now I am wondering if I will get better results by re-ripping using Handbrake, or should I get similar results just following the above instruction which will put my existing files in a MKV Container?

Thanks,
Rod

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 04:27:41 pm »

MakeMKV can generate a MKV file directly from your folder structure, at least if you have been ripping your DVD's to Video_TS folders. I just tried it.

With just ROHQ selected in MC17 the MKV file will be played with MadVR.

I am not sure why Handbrake would make a different (better) result than just using MakeMKV alone, but then again I am not familar with Handbrake.

TLS

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 04:44:38 pm »

MakeMKV can generate a MKV file directly from your folder structure, at least if you have been ripping your DVD's to Video_TS folders. I just tried it.

With just ROHQ selected in MC17 the MKV file will be played with MadVR.

I am not sure why Handbrake would make a different (better) result than just using MakeMKV alone, but then again I am not familar with Handbrake.

TLS

Thanks for the explanation. Yes my files are Video_TS files. 

So is the reason that we want them as MKV files is because ROHQ will not use MadVR on Video_TS files?

Also is there some tuning to do in MadVR to optimize the playback quality of DVD's? I vaguely recall reading that somewhere. Or is everyone just taking it as it comes from MadVR?

Rod

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 04:52:00 pm »

In theory the new particles feature should obviate the need for remuxing the Video_ts files into mkv. In theory it should pick out the correct vob (or sequence of vobs) from the video_ts folder to play. And madvr will work on vob's. However, I can't get the particles to play properly on the couple that I have tried.

So I'm holding fire at the moment and sticking with folders. I'm hoping particles will eventually work as intended.

SBR

jgreen

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 05:10:10 pm »

Regarding Particles, MKV seems to work best for me.  Creating Particles still can have odd results (such as the Particle immediately going missing), but once created the playback seems fine.  One exception:  If you happen to manually create a start point within one second of a pre-existing chapter, it can go loopy on you. 

jgreen

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 05:20:20 pm »

nwboater--

First, create some MKV's from your current DVD rips (ifo).  MakeMKV is my choice also, and I'm similarly unsure what Handbrake is supposed to do, other than keep open-source coders busy. 

I've been converting my DVD rips (ifo) into MKV files, and the whole thing seems quite easy.  I'm not yet ready to delete the pre-existing DVD rips, but I haven't seen any issues with the MKVs so far.

Regarding playback, not only will you get to use ROHQ (and leave it on default for now), but you will find that ROHQ/MKV playback will play more seemlessly under heavy CPU/disk load than EVR/ifo.  I've been so happy with the MKVs that I immediately dove into tthe used DVD bin at Amazon and picked up nearly a decade's worth of Tour De France box sets, which I'm now Ppartitioning for the stages in the Ppyrenees and AlpPs.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 06:04:01 pm »

Sandy & jgreen,

Thanks for all your ideas! It sounds like for now it's best to not try to use Particles if it's unreliable.

When I get some time tomorrow I'll download MakeMKV and try it on a few of our ripped DVDs. I'm looking forward to the results.

Speaking of results are you all finding much better video quality after converting to MKVs? Is it subtle or quite noticeable? I'll do my own comparisons but just curious what you are finding.

jgreen - you mention leaving ROHQ on all the time with the MKVs. I've had it on full time for awhile now and I'm pretty sure I've played some VOB type DVD rips. What does that comment refer to?

Thanks again.

Rod

jgreen

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 08:12:42 pm »

I meant that "for now" you should leave ROHQ (excuse me, MadVR) on the default settings.  Later, once you're more comfortable with the process, you might look into changing the uprez algorythms to the sharpest process (I forget which), IF IF IF you are like me and displaying standard def content on full HD (1920X1080) monitors.  I've fooled with the COLOR settings in MadVR and never gotten anything better than the defaults.

To recap, ROHQ will NOT call MadVR when playing DVD rips (ifo or VOB, whatever you want to call it).  If you want MadVR--and baby, it is da bomb--then you need to transcode your rips to MKV.   

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 08:30:37 pm »

I meant that "for now" you should leave ROHQ (excuse me, MadVR) on the default settings.  Later, once you're more comfortable with the process, you might look into changing the uprez algorythms to the sharpest process (I forget which), IF IF IF you are like me and displaying standard def content on full HD (1920X1080) monitors.  I've fooled with the COLOR settings in MadVR and never gotten anything better than the defaults.

To recap, ROHQ will NOT call MadVR when playing DVD rips (ifo or VOB, whatever you want to call it).  If you want MadVR--and baby, it is da bomb--then you need to transcode your rips to MKV.   

Thanks for the full explanations. Also from your mention of the "uprez algorythms" it sounds like MadVR does upscaling.

Now I'm getting anxious to try it out!

We have a fairly new 55" plasma and certainly do enjoy true Hi Def when we get it. But sounds like this may be a real improvement for our numerous DVDs.

Rod

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 03:38:09 pm »

What do you consider to be 'better'  :P
In the main part, you're limited by your source quality. You shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a good rip and the original DVD assuming both are played with the same settings.

MadVR may look better, but this very much depends on the quality of the original upscaling. If you're using a TV/ monitor with decent hardware upscaling there should be little difference, but if you're using software upscaling you may notice some differences.

I've also got a set of FFDShow upscaling/ postprocessing settings which came from an AV Forums post somewhere (Although pretty generic mind) which perform some basic sharpening etc. on anything they're pointed at which I use for some types of very old media. This could be classed as 'better'  :o

-Leezer-

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 04:26:58 pm »

What do you consider to be 'better'  :P
In the main part, you're limited by your source quality. You shouldn't be able to tell the difference between a good rip and the original DVD assuming both are played with the same settings.

MadVR may look better, but this very much depends on the quality of the original upscaling. If you're using a TV/ monitor with decent hardware upscaling there should be little difference, but if you're using software upscaling you may notice some differences.

I've also got a set of FFDShow upscaling/ postprocessing settings which came from an AV Forums post somewhere (Although pretty generic mind) which perform some basic sharpening etc. on anything they're pointed at which I use for some types of very old media. This could be classed as 'better'  :o

-Leezer-

By "Better" were you referring to my ealier comment on Handbrake? In any event I'm just trying to get the best possible playback that my equipment is capable of.

Earlier I used MakeMKV on our vob rip of Out Of Africa. Playing back the mkv with MC ROHQ I could not see a difference to our vob playback, in fact it might have been a little worse (that possible?). Right clicking on the screen during playback showed that it was using MadVR. I need to get a lot more testing done before a can say anything for sure though.

Our TV is a fairly new 55" Panasonic Plasma. Ripped DVDs have been looking quite good on it, so perhaps it does some upscaling on its own.

When I do more I'll report back here. Would also be interested in others reports on quality differences re vob/mkv of the same DVD.

Thanks.

Rod

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 05:14:44 pm »

Some questions:

1. Do you use ROHQ without any Additional Settings?

Thanks,
Rod

Yes

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 05:16:49 pm »

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 01:23:09 pm »

By "Better" were you referring to my ealier comment on Handbrake? In any event I'm just trying to get the best possible playback that my equipment is capable of.

Nah, more the fact that some people insist on having everything exactly as per the original. Take the example of a nasty blocky image (Think early internet video)- You can apply postprocessing to this, add smoothing, a little motion blur to smooth out the worst of the judders, but then it's no longer original. Is this 'better'? :)

Worse is easily enough possible, that all depends on the compression settings you used.

-Leezer-

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 06:56:50 pm »

If the DVD is retail one, it has good quality, so use only MakeMKV... You can achieve the same quality, but you can render using madVR, so the image quality is better than playing from the disc... You can also rip extras and unused audio-tracks to make the file smaller...

Basically I found that the best PQ comes from respecting the original mastering, so I use LAV-Filters and madVR (before I tried ffdshow+avisynth, but I found the results were not as good as without any postprosessing (all scaling done via madVR)... I watch only retail-DVDs, blurayrips and retail-bluray, so if you want to watch some blocky internet stream or VHS or DVDrips, then I suggest to ask help and info about avisynth+ffdshow combo...
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 07:24:36 pm »

SamuelMaki,

Thanks for the comments. I only have directly ripped DVDs and BluRays - not stuff off the Internet. And of course recorded TV but that's a different matter.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the one DVD that I have used MakeMKV on the rip with did not seem to be any better, in fact may have been a little worse. I will later do more with MakeMKV and compare.

Rod

Vocalpoint

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 07:40:57 pm »

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the one DVD that I have used MakeMKV on the rip with did not seem to be any better, in fact may have been a little worse. I will later do more with MakeMKV and compare.

If it were me - and you are dealing with retail discs exclusively - I would rerip using MakeMKV and be done with it. Any attempts to re-convert an already ripped VOB etc - can only be introducing more possibility of "loss" into the equation since you are creation a second gen dub from a first gen copy.

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up