INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAS or FTP for off-site sync? Advice needed  (Read 2220 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
NAS or FTP for off-site sync? Advice needed
« on: April 16, 2012, 02:46:15 am »

Let's say I'm moving from my apartment and into a new house. The residents in the apartment would probably miss my SAN very much. So I was wondering how I could fix this. If I was on a fiber with 100/100 Mbit, then it would not be much problems, but with a 90/10 connection they could max my upload speed during peak hours. As we know, this is bad for surfing, voice communication, gaming, streaming etc.

What would be the best and easiest solution here? I know that tools like "Super Flexible File Synchronizer" have the ability to upload/sync to FTP servers. So, if a NAS had an FTP server, I could initialize sync in the night. The problem would be that they have to send me a SMS with what they want synced. Or I could just let them manually download stuff from a server on my end, but with limited hours available. Are there NAS boxes that have some more sophisticated sync features that could help me with my (so far) theoretical problems?

Anyone done similar things, or have some hints as to what would work well here?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: NAS or FTP for off-site sync? Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 01:42:48 pm »

Does your router support upload bandwidth throttling and schedules?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 02:16:15 am »

Router, probably. But my servers, yes. I run a Data Center at home :) Only limitation real limitation would be on the apartment end with just a router and a NAS.
Are there NAS boxes with FTP servers, that the users could log in to and choose what data to download? And then I could set scheduled speeds at my end in the house?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 02:03:22 pm »

The apt. folks would need an FTP client, not server.  Their client will connect to your FTP server to download content.

By setting upload bandwidth limits, you'll control the amount of usage they'll be allowed.  Many FTP servers have bandwidth limits built-in too.  But scheduling via the router would be more all-encompassing.

Many NAS clients are Linux-based, so users can often add additional software.  Depends on the box though.

If they have rsync on their NAS, you could setup an rsync server on your end, and they'd just do periodic sync's to download the content.  This could be schedule for off-hours.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 03:56:59 pm »

The best thing would be for them to simply use a web browser to select things for sync, and then having the NAS in the apartment, or the server in my house to do the actual job of transferring. Perhaps this is possible with rsync? I'll check it out. It does not reall matter where the guys connect, as long as it's logical for them to select things so it's duplicated on the NAS. I have web servers up, and can install what ever it takes.

FTP server on the NAS are pretty normal I think. But as you say, they would need an easy accessible FTP client to download to the NAS without having their computers on. A NAS with FPT client might be harder to come by though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up