INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Nodes" with Genre / Subgenre  (Read 2193 times)

MM_switcher

• Junior Woodchuck
"Nodes" with Genre / Subgenre
« on: April 18, 2012, 01:15:54 pm »

Hello,

I've been a user of Mediamonkey over years, but unfortunately development seems to go into the wrong direction.
Accidentially I discovered the JRiver Media Center (for me only the audio-part is interesting): seems to be the "right direction of the MM-development". Having played aroung with MC17, I was impresed, the number (and quality) of features is really great  :)

One thing I realised positively is the creation of trees ("nodes" in MM), especially the "Genre" node is one thing I'd like to change. As my Genres are tagged like "Genre / Subgenre" the following MM-expression "Genres|Icon:7\<genre|left of:/ >\<genre|right of: />\<album artist>\<album|sort by:max(year)>" creates the attached dynamic node.

I know, that it is possible to do that with the MB as well, but despite having read the posts about regular expressions and other commands, I don't have any clue how.

Can you help me, to move from MM to the MC17?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: "Nodes" with Genre / Subgenre
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 01:22:10 pm »

Welcome. 

You're sort of jumping into the deep end, but you can add a category based on an expression.  Try an expression like this:
Code: [Select]
[Genre]&DataType=[List]

If you use a forward slash instead of a backslash as the delimiter, you'll need to fix that like this:
Code: [Select]
Replace([Genre],//,\)&DataType=[List]
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MM_switcher

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 04:40:52 am »

Thanks a lot for the fast reply.

You're sort of jumping into the deep end

Sorry for that, but the basic end is very comprehensive and intuitive, so I don't need assistance here (well done  :))

In general, MC looks very promising.

Jonahsdad

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 06:58:51 pm »

I use subgenres as well.  I created a simple custom field, data type=String, Edit type= Standard.  I use it in a panes view with Genre, Subgenre, Artist, Album as the panes.  If I've selected a Genre, only Subgenres that have that Genre appear.  It works quite well.

I've been using this program for about 8 years, and I still can't figure out expressions.

Hope this helps.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 08:04:46 pm »

I've been using this program for about 8 years, and I still can't figure out expressions.

[Genre]\[Subgenre]&DataType=[List] and [Artist]\[Album]&DataType=[List] work nicely as panes in this case. ;)

Jonahsdad

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 10:20:47 am »

[Genre]\[Subgenre]&DataType=
    and
[Artist]\[Album]&DataType=
    work nicely as panes in this case. Wink
Very nice, thank you.

I've got another question,but I'll start a new topic so as not to thread-jack.
Pages: [1]   Go Up