INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping issue about no album found on internet  (Read 3075 times)

Captor

• Citizen of the Universe
Ripping issue about no album found on internet
« on: April 25, 2012, 09:49:38 am »

Hi
I ripped Rachael Yamagata, album: Chesapeake, into JRiver. This CD was not found on internet so I was asked to fill in artist, album and titles. I did that after the ripping was finished. Everything worked well with that.
But later when I looked in my library folder on the harddrive the songtitles had not change same as the tags in JRiver. There it still looked like track 1, track 2, track 3 and so on.
So now I wonder how I can make the tags I have changed/written in JRiver to change name in to my library folder as well in an easy way. Without doing the hard work and change there manually.

Thanks in advance
JRiver for music

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Ripping issue about no album found on internet
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:19:47 am »

There's going to be some manual work.

Create yourself a smartlist, with the parameters:

[Date Imported]=<1d ~d=mc ~sort=[Track #]

Adjust the number of days portion (above is 1 day).  This will show you both the CD and Audio tracks that were imported.  You should be able to adjust the sort so that the tracks fall in line, alternating CD and File so that you can do a quick copy/paste across all the files (for Album, Artist, Genre and Date) and every other file for Name.  Its pretty fast.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 11:26:04 am »

Hi
I ripped Rachael Yamagata, album: Chesapeake, into JRiver. This CD was not found on internet so I was asked to fill in artist, album and titles. I did that after the ripping was finished. Everything worked well with that.
But later when I looked in my library folder on the harddrive the songtitles had not change same as the tags in JRiver. There it still looked like track 1, track 2, track 3 and so on.
So now I wonder how I can make the tags I have changed/written in JRiver to change name in to my library folder as well in an easy way. Without doing the hard work and change there manually.

Thanks in advance
Mr C certainly knows more about this stuff than I do - but I'm wondering, did you try the "Update Library from Tags" command?

MrC

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:28:20 am »

Since the values were not present at the time of the Rip, where would the tags come from?  The meta-data was entered after the fact, right?

Captor

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:31:11 am »

Dear CountryBumkin
Is that a way to go too? I didīnt thought that the tags will change. Only the files itself.
I will give it a try. What can go wrong  ;D
JRiver for music

Captor

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 11:32:45 am »

MrC
I did change the tags in JRiver after the ripping. What do you think? will it work?
JRiver for music

MrC

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 11:40:11 am »

Once you've update MC's metadata for the tracks, then you can use Rename, Copy & Move to rename the tracks via the templates that you'd like for folder and track name.

Captor

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 11:43:38 am »

OK tried that did not work.
What if i choose: "Submit track info to online database". And then delete the cd and rip it again
after that. Would it not be correct then?

MrC, in your way, how do you mean a quick cope and paste? You mean I can cope the songtitles from the tags in JRiver and paste in to my library?
JRiver for music

Captor

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 11:44:53 am »

OK, there you answered my question before before I posted it, thanks.
JRiver for music

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 12:39:04 pm »

I tried and failed to reproduce the problem before I read your post again...
...I was asked to fill in artist, album and titles. I did that after the ripping was finished...
That's why the filenames did not reflect your changes, because the rip was already completed at that point.  You can use MrC's suggestions to use the "Rename, Copy & Move" dialog.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

MrC

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 12:51:35 pm »

JohnT/Matt - an idea. 

What do you think about a unique ID per ripped CD to associate its ripped tracks?   This would make resolving this type of problem more straightforward, by allowing tracks to be forever tied to a physical asset.  A view can be created that groups on this ID, sorting within groups by [Track #],[File Type].

I do this essentially manually, and its a real help.

Captor

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 01:53:03 pm »

Hi
I now tried "Rename, copy& move" but that did work too. Maybe I am doing wrong.
Itīs not so very straight forward how to do this.
Anyway, I had no more time to try and try so I had to do it the "hard way". Much quicker for now.
But next time I will maybe have more time and work with it more.

Thanks anyway all of you, that it didnīt work is only my own lack of computer knowledge.
JRiver for music

MrC

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 02:37:36 pm »

Hi
I now tried "Rename, copy& move" but that did work too. Maybe I am doing wrong.
Itīs not so very straight forward how to do this.
Anyway, I had no more time to try and try so I had to do it the "hard way". Much quicker for now.
But next time I will maybe have more time and work with it more.

Thanks anyway all of you, that it didnīt work is only my own lack of computer knowledge.

It is quicker and simpler, unfortunately, to just re-rip than go through the steps.  Still, if you want to see it in action, I'll post some screenshots.

Captor

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 03:39:20 pm »

MrC
That would be very nice if you can post screenshots. This will happen again and then I need to know how to do..
JRiver for music

MrC

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 06:14:16 pm »

Ok, so you have a CD that has no CD track information yet entered:

You happen to be rather impatient, and so ignore MC's sage advice to enter the tag info, and rip anyway.  Now you have a bunch of unnamed tracks that are in an unknown artist\album folder tree:

So now you decided to enter the metadata and submit it to MC's YADB database:

You'd like to fix your track names based on your hard work.  So you can create a smartlist to show you both the CD and the ripped tracks (these live in two separate databases - the CD database and the Main database):

Here they are, and yup, the FLAC files have no metadata, but the CD .cda tracks do:

So, you can shift-select and/or control-select one or more tracks, by clicking on the desired column to edit that particular column (its the last click that selects the column to edit).  You select all the tracks by clicking in the Genre column, and then control-clicked to deselect track 6, pressed F2 to edit (which will then open the in-column editor), copy the value, and then paste.  MC fills in all the selected tracks:

Of course, you could have used the Tag Action Window too - whatever is easiest.  Eventually, all the data is copy/pasted from .cda tracks to .flac tracks.  Its pretty fast once you get used to F2 and then Ctrl-C - Down Arrow - Ctrl-V, repeat copy/move/paste until done:

Now, you sort by File Type by clicking on the File Type column (mine happens to be labeled Ftype) to easily select only the .flac files for renaming:

Finally, right-click Library Tools > Rename, Move & Copy to rename the files based on your entered metadata:

In the future, just remember that any metadata you enter before the rip will be set in both the CD tracks in the CD database and the ripped tracks in the Main database.  You might also want to change the Volume Name tag in for just the CD tracks.

Most of the skills here will apply to other uses, so its worth learning them if you do a lot of tagging.

MrC

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 06:16:30 pm »

Nobody should spend time doing this.  I feel a better method is imminent.

MrC

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 08:08:37 pm »

You see, all is clear.  The future has been told through careful prognostication:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71808.0

Captor

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 11:57:09 am »

Dear Mr C
Thank you very much! But you are right at the end, nobody should spend time on this  ;)
I have followed your link but right now I can not concentrate on that due to packing my suitcase again.
That is my problem, to much on the run so I just would like things to work without spending to much time.

But I guess I have to do that anyway next time.

One thing though, you said: "In the future, just remember that any metadata you enter before the rip will be set in both the CD tracks in the CD database and the ripped tracks in the Main database.  You might also want to change the Volume Name tag in for just the CD tracks."
I just want to clrearify that in my particular case there was metadata already on the CD. At least there was that
until I ripped it to the mainlibrary. But after the import operation it was gone. So in that stage I wrote it in to the tags in JRiver. But still there was nothing in the mainlibrary. I guess we will never find out why there was no metadata after the ripping.

Anyway, I have print your very nice explanation and also the link you sent to me. Hopefully i know were to find them next time this happens.
JRiver for music

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 03:16:19 pm »

I agree with what MrC and other have said.

You didn't say just where you entered the tag information so I'll guess that you entered it in the device view for the CD/DVD drive.  Here is an explanation that might apply:

- When you enter tag information for tracks in the device view, you are associating that information with the CD.

- If you then rip the CD, MC will transfer the tag info to the music files it creates as part of the ripping process.

- If you enter tag info in the device view after you rip a CD, the tag info will not be transferred to music files that were ripped earlier.

If my guess about how you entered the tag info is correct, then MC still has the info associated with the CDs.  If there are not too many CDs involved, you could delete the music files and re-rip the CDs.  MC should display the tag info in the device view so you won't have to re-enter it.

---
Some suggestions for the future:

- Turn off auto-rip.  You want to be sure that MC has usable tag values before you tell it to start ripping a CD.  Even if you don't enter all tag information before you start the ripping process, enter enough to ensure that you can find the files later and that you know what they contain.

- Set the folder and file name naming options in Tools/Options/File Location so that you know where you files will be stored and how they are named.

- If you want to edit tags after MC has finished the ripping process, use the "Recently ripped playlist".  Don't use the device view for entering tags after the ripping process has finished.

Bill

Captor

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 03:34:58 pm »

OK, thanks I will remember that.
And thanks for your support!
JRiver for music
Pages: [1]   Go Up