INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie -- Eames: the Architect and the Painter  (Read 1394 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Movie -- Eames: the Architect and the Painter
« on: April 26, 2012, 06:16:15 pm »

I watched a great documentary last night with Netflix streaming.  It was about Charles Eames and his wife, Ray.  Among their many accomplishments, they designed hundreds of chairs for Herman Miller.  Many are still in production.  They also did a multi-screen film for a 1959 US pavilion in Moscow.  Many projects for IBM, Xerox, etc.  Their studio was in Venice Beach, then a nice little town near Los Angeles, where you could probably buy a bungalow near the beach for $40,000.

Eames: the Architect and the Painter

DarkPenguin

Re: Movie -- Eames: the Architect and the Painter
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 06:49:03 pm »

I saw that was available.  I caught about half of it on TV a while back.  I think I'll put it in the queue.

A few art and design documentaries that I really enjoyed on Netflix streaming...

"Objectified" - About the design of every day objects.
"Helvetica" - About fonts and the creation of the most ubiquitous typeface of them all.
"Between the Folds" - About origami.  Some amazing creations.
"Herb and Dorothy" - About the great art collection that Herb and Dorothy Vogel amassed on a Postal Clerk and Librarian's salary.  (Since given to the National Gallery of Art -- http://www.nga.gov/press/2008/vogel50x50_a.shtm)

I kind of liked "Visual Acoustics: The Modernism of Julius Shulman" but then I have a huge book of Julius Shulman's architectural photographs.  (I miss Borders.)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Movie -- Eames: the Architect and the Painter
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:45:24 pm »

Thanks for the list, Tom.  I've seen Helvetica and Herb and Dorothy.  I watched Herb and Dorothy twice.  It was amazing.

I saw a movie about Julius Shulman that I liked a lot.  I don't remember its name.  Maybe the same.
Pages: [1]   Go Up