INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Size of files  (Read 602 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Size of files
« on: May 04, 2002, 05:46:13 pm »

PBNYC's post, moved here.

-----------
This has to do with the fact that 1 MB = 1,048,576 bytes, but regardless why, it drives me crazy:
For instance:

I have songs in the MJ Media Library I want to put on my handheld. Let's say the available space reported on my handheld is 4,880 KB. I pick a song in the MJ Media Library that's reported to be 4.879 MB. Right click, Locate File > On Disk...[in Windows Explorer]. Drag and drop onto handheld. Done, right. Wrong! Alas, the file doesn't fit! This is because the file is ACTUALLY 4,997 KB according to Windows, and I only have 4,880 KB left.

Any handheld user lives and dies by the KB--sometimes by the byte. It's the difference between having the great new tune on your player when you're late for work and rushing out the door...or not. In the end, all that matters is the math.

I realize this would be solveable if I would only do everything in MJ. The trouble is, I don't like the handheld plug-in interface. It's very clunky. I won't go into why unless someone is interested because it's not the point here. Suffice it to say, I like my drag and drop from Explorer. (It's interesting how MJ teases you into thinking you can drag and drop to a handheld device by displaying the a |PLS| sign.) Anyway, the MJ drivers aren't compatible with other third party handheld software that I want to use, yet the OEM supplied driver works with everything else (just not MJ). MJ's a fantatic program. Don't get me wrong. But no program can do everything perfectly to satisfy everyone's tastes, and I just happen not to like the handheld interface.

The bottom line is that Windows uses KB to report small file sizes. Maybe there's a way to toggle this in XP. If so, can someone please tell me how?

The more obvious solution is if MJ reported file sizes in Kilobytes for files bigger than 1 MB, not just Megabytes. Is there a way to change this setting? Can there be?

Thanks!

pbnyc
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up