INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO vs Kernel streaming sound quality??  (Read 4170 times)

Metalman

• Recent member
ASIO vs Kernel streaming sound quality??
« on: April 27, 2012, 07:39:09 pm »

hi all, i have a "stock" soundMax soundcard that MC was recognizing and i was able to select ASIO in the DSP for much better sound quality, however lately i seem to be having issues with MC not recognizing the ASIO driver. I had Dell and various "driverupdate" programs check and it gave me a clean bill of health for my audio driver. This has forced me to select kernel streaming, which seems ok, but i thought that ASIO, if your PC had it on board, was the better sonic choice. So i have seen users using ASIO4All which is a publicly available driver that accepts ASIO output but then converts it back to Kernel Streaming. This is quite confusing. So would using ASIO4ALL to have MC output in kernel streaming be a redundant/unnecessary loop back to kernel streaming, which my PC will do now? Any input would be very appreciated. I cannot seem to solve this issue, so my thoughts are to purchase a ESI julia to replace the soundMAX. thanks!! ? ? ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: ASIO vs Kernel streaming sound quality??
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 07:46:07 pm »

We don't recommend ASIO4All, since it's just a layer on top of Kernel Streaming.

ASIO is only as good as the driver.  So if you're having ASIO driver troubles, I'd use WASAPI on Vista and newer and Kernel Streaming on XP.

More information here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Metalman

• Recent member
Re: ASIO vs Kernel streaming sound quality??
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 08:23:59 am »

thanks, outstanding response! completely answered my question! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up