INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IsEmpty, IsEqual and Unknown [Field Name]  (Read 771 times)

Daydream

• Citizen of the Universe
IsEmpty, IsEqual and Unknown [Field Name]
« on: April 28, 2012, 03:04:31 am »

Something not exactly right here with my toys...

Long story short: I need partial dates. As we don't have 'em yet I created my own a.Year, a.Month and a.Day (all strings; yeah, 53 July sounds nice, I like long summers). And an extra a.Date field (expression) that tests them with IsEmpty and aggregates them in the likes of 2012-xx-xx or 2012-04-xx or complete dates if info available.

Then I used to call this a.Date field in Rename, Move, Copy to create folders the likes of 2012-xx-xx - blablabla, etc. That used to work until recently (month - couple of months? I don't know I lost track). Well, as explained in the wiki this (now) fails because the... well, smartness of avoiding empty, illegal folders takes precedence over the expression engine. So I get 2012-unknown [a.Month]-unknown [a.Day]. I'm curious why it evaluates stuff like that, why it's considered a problem even if only a part of the outcome is (supposedly) empty. Anyways.

Rewrote the whole thing with isEqual checking against the 'unknown' value and renaming works. But I have other problem now. If I display a.Date in MC, it shows 2012-00-00. That's not good, I want my '-xx' since it's a visual queue that I won't give up.

So I went from having one expression field that I could just call it in Rename, to having to use a different expression every time I do a rename involving these values. Any solution / thoughts to simplify this back?

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: IsEmpty, IsEqual and Unknown [Field Name]
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 06:24:31 am »

Put everything back to the way it was. When using the Rename, Move, or Copy tool, add a ",0" next to the field name.

[a.Date] becomes [a.Date,0]
Pages: [1]   Go Up